[3830] WAE CW ES5RR(ES2RR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, toivo.hallikivi@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW ES5RR(ES2RR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:56:06 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: ES5RR
Operator(s): ES2RR
Station: ES5TV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Jogeva
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   80:   53     8    35
   40:  215   314    71
   20:  474  1016    86
   15:  574  1140    82
   10:   27    40    18
-------------------------
Total: 1343  2518   725  Total Score = 2,799,225

Club:

Comments:

Thought I did quite OK compared to my last year score but seems others did even
better. Congratulations to DL1IAO, RL3A, SN7Q, YP9W for great scores, guess we
will see some more 3 M+ scores from RW1A, UA5C, others(?).

I believed I had enough aluminum in the sky to compete with stations further
South:

5 rotating towers with
10 meters -
4xJP2000 stack @45m, 3xJP2000 stack @35m, 6/6 yagis @26m, Optibeam 17-4 @42m
15 meters -
5-5/5-5/5-5/5-5 stack (double H-frame, 40 el) @65m, 4xJP2000 stack @45m,
3xJP2000 stack @35m, 5/5 yagis @29m, Optibeam 17-4 @42m
20 meters -
4xJP2000 stack @45m, 3xJP2000 stack @35m, 5/5 yagis @42m, Optibeam 17-4 @42m
40 meters -
3/3 yagis @42m, 3/3 yagis @42m, Optibeam 17-4 @42m, Dipole @20m
80 meters -
full-size 4-square, 3-el yagi @36m, Inv-V @ 52m

With that amount of HW and everything working perfectly without any technical
issues whatsoever there were only two factors remaining - the propagation and
the operator. As much as I would like to blame it all on the conditions I have
to admit I made some mistakes as well, the worst one being the failure to
properly plan the breaks. As a result I found myself with 36 hours operating
time very early on Sunday evening, having stayed on the air for too many slow
hours.

Propagation-wise 10m and 80m were challenging. No US/VE on 10, heard very weak
reflections from VY2ZM on Sunday, that's all. Had even hard time getting
through to South America. There was especially one PY7 that I ended up calling
for 20 minutes or more. Tried the 4-tribander stack, 3-tribander stack, 5/5
monobanders stack, the combinations of them, different directions, etc - nada!
- even though the PY was rather loud. On 80 the noise from thunder storms was
so intense that on some occasions I even didn't bother calling some eastern
mults because I knew I wouldn't be able to copy the number anyway.

It was tough to get through the Southern- and Western European pile-ups when
calling NA or SA and cracking the RA/UA pile-ups when calling Asia or Oceania.
It especially made me grind my teeth when all the DL's were getting through a
ZL- or HS pile-up and I ended up calling for a long time or when RL3A, RW1A or
UA5C pulled a "one-call hit'n'run" on me in a CX- or PY pile-up :-)

Overall great fun and I especially enjoyed the QRQ QTC's. WAEDC CW has quickly
become one of my favourite contests. Hope to do better next year - if ES5TV
will let me operate his great station again.

73's and thanks to all for the QSO/QTC!

Toivo, ES2RR