[3830] KsQP W0L(K5YAA) Mobile Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] KsQP W0L(K5YAA) Mobile Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 07:49:49 +0000
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: W0L
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Mobile Unlimited HP
QTH: 30 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 16

   80:   30      0      0
   40:  283      4      0
   20:  906    283      0
   15:    6      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  965    287      0  Mults = 56  Total Score = 194,264

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

Well - my Vibroplex held up OK.  Sorry for the extra dits or lack thereof now
and then.  The Kansas roads are actually quite good otherwise there would have
been even more choppy CW happening on .039 and .034 - I recorded roughly 10
hours of the 16 total.  Heard SP5SA clear as a bell on the recorder but missed
him in the heat of battle!  There were several callers I simply couldn't pull
out of the noise and I thank them for their efforts.  Maybe another time and
party.  The K3 is pretty good at handling noise so the signals had to be quite
weak for me to miss them.

Then there were those that had S9 plus signals every time they called in.
Conditions must have been favoring them.  A special thanks to the DX and
Canadian stations that followed me both days.  Especially VE5KS and VE7CV.
They showed up in almost every county I made.  Also hats off to VE6BMX, VE4QZ,
VE9AA and VE1RGB.  Thanks for the provinces.  I always enjoy working those
Canadians since my Dad was born in Quebec.

Congrats to John N6MU for again proving that a vertical and low power can get
the job done.  Have no idea how he does it.  I need big power and lots of
aluminum if I'm gonna play radio.

Many stations that rode with me in most of the 30 counties.  I will name them
from memory since I just finished transcribing my recordings.  N8II, N4PN,
K7BX, K6MM, ND3R, KQ3F, KB4FS, WA2VYA, W7BRO, W7GVE, K8MFO, K4BAI, KK4HEG,
KJ4IWZ, W4UT, K7IA, AD1C, K2DSW, K5WAF, K0DEQ, KC3X, W0GXQ, KS4X, K9WA, N1API,
KO1U, K0CCM, W1END, KK7YC, N6MU, W8POF, W7GF, AA4FU, N4UF, WB0TEV, KN4Y, W2CVW,
K0PFV, K0MPH, K5VWW, and N3KR.  That's most of them - I may have missed a
couple.  K5ZG - OM Hud in Colorado was having fun laughing with me on 40 CW. He
carried on right through a QSO I had with another station.  He was still
laughing when I left to go to 20 CW!

Now for the DX stations.  OM2VL must have a whopper of a station.  He was 20
over in several counties and blew in on 40 meters like a local.  Worked him 30
times - several times on SSB.  Unbelievable signal.  DL5ME was present on both
days in many of the counties I ran.  DX worked included OE, ON, SP, YO, DL, OM,
G, F, OK, SM, I, RZ0, OH, and MD0.  There were several G and DL stations that
made it in the log.  The bands seemed to be in better shape on Sunday but
Saturday had its moments.  On Saturday I was hollered at that 15 was open so I
went down there right quick.  I worked my full complement of 15 meter QSOs ( 6
) on that swing.  I looked at 15 several other times when it should have been
open.  I called many times with nil answers.  Guess the timing wasn't there
because I noticed that several people said the band was alive.  I didn't find
that to be the case.

Let's see - what else.  I got off track twice.  Once on Saturday when I ended
up in Greenwood instead of Wilson.  Altered my route to skip the Greenwood pass
since I was there early.  Missed Elk but added Osage to keep the 30 total.  On
Sunday I had to take a real Kansas country road to get back on track from
Kingman to Reno county.  Didn't lose any time just got bumped around a bit more
than I like.  The girl on the GPS sent me on a wild goose chase once into a road
that was closed.  I turned around and made her give me a better route!

I had some fun transcribing the recordings I made of the party.  Talked to
myself a lot - cussed the frequency poachers and also the traffic a couple of
times.  Made a lot of grunt sounds when I was tuning up.  Guess that helped the
linear - don't know.  Remonded me of Gator N5RZ and his operating habits! I kept
my shirt on though.  I used an Olympus W830 and it performed quite well.
Sounded just like I was on the radio.  Kinda fun listening to it all over
again.

Had a nice dinner at Montana Mikes in McPherson with a couple of buddies from
Texas and Louisiana.  N5NA and NO5W showed up with Alan's FB mobile. Bob and
his driving/operating partner Aaron N0QD was with us too.  We took pictures and
compared conditions.  That Bob comes equipped for videos and photos.  I had a
reservation at the Best Western in McPherson.  After dinner and picture taking
I said to Chuck I need to find the Best Western.  He said he thought it was
down the road toward town a bit.  I thought that too and took off.  In the
middle of town I put the address in the GPS and the lady told me to go 5 miles
to the left.  Off I went.  She then told me 5 more miles to the left.  I
started to think another wild goose chase on the GPS.  Well - in another 5
miles or so I ended up right where we ate at.  It turns out we were standing
and taking pictures right under the Best Western sign.  Couldn't see the sucker
from where we were standing and I never looked as I drove away!  Silly me for
not putting in the address into the GPS sooner. The lady might have saved me 25
minutes of additional driving.....

That's my story on this party.  I had great fun with the pileups.  My 811H amp
TX/RX relay started sticking late Sunday but I worked through it OK.  Will get
it fixed before the Arkansas and Texas Parties later in September.  N5WR - Erik
Martin will be my partner for the Texas run.  So everybody stand by for some FB
CW.

73 for now and thanks much for all the Qs.  The mobiles need all those fixed
stations hollerin at them to make it a good weekend on the radio.

Jerry - K5YAA aka W0L

Rig: K3, AL811H and Tarheel antenna on a Starlight trailer - I named it the
Oklahoma Land Rush Mobile.  It has seen a lot of action this year and is still
going strong.