[3830] KsQP N0P Mobile MOST LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] KsQP N0P Mobile MOST LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 02:02:18 +0000
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N0P
Operator(s): N0QD W0BH
Station: N0P

Class: Mobile MOST LP
QTH: 22 KS counties
Operating Time (hrs): 10.3

   80:
   40:   40     19
   20:  137    314
   15:   14     11
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  193    344      0  Mults = 46  Total Score = 58,282

Club:

Comments:

Ever since I moved back to Kansas almost eight years ago, Bob/W0BH has been
trying to recruit me for his mobile adventures in various QSO parties.  This
year my schedule worked out for KSQP and I was signed up as N0P and scheduled
to drive and operate for the day on Saturday.  Bob has been my Elmer since the
beginning of my interest in ham radio 20+ years ago, as well as one of my
flight instructors in college, so I was really looking forward to this trip.

We started off with an on-the-road briefing on the day's plan, as well as some
simulated QSOs to knock off the rust (demonstrated by my tendency to call CQ
FIELD DAY rather than KS QSO PARTY).  After that and a final pit stop in
McPherson, it was 0900 and we were ready to roll.

Due to Bob's extensive experience (and my lack thereof) I started off driving
while Bob handled the radio work.  We switched seats occasionally and I was
able to hold my own, but I still need practice logging and talking at the same
time.  After a while we found our comfort zone with me driving and Bob in the
hot seat.  (Both seats were a little warm due to a lack of air conditioning,
but when you have a mobile station as well-equipped as this one, A/C is a
secondary concern.)  As I drove, I also was able to tag along on Bob's QSOs as
a second contact.  Two for the price of one is a pretty good deal!  The real
work came while operating from a three-county line with two operators.  Six
QSOs per station worked kept the fingers flying on the logging computer.  I
also became very familiar with callsigns like N4PN, N8II, and N6MU.  Paul,
Jeff, and John were there like clockwork in each county (except I think we
missed one unfortunately.)  We also looked forward to hearing Laci/OM2VL from
the Slovak Republic.  These were just a few of the many calls that became more
and more familiar with each passing county.

The counties we covered that day are sort of a blur, so I'll refer you to the
W0BH account of the day in this forum.  The miles and QSOs flew by and we
finally found ourselves back in McPherson parked at the interstate exit, with
Jerry/K5YAA, Chuck/NO5W, and Alan/N5NA making dinner plans.  I'm already
looking forward to next year and the 2014 KSQP.  In the mean time, I have
plenty of new experience to learn from.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this a great time, and I'll see you next
year (if not before!)

73, Aaron/N0QD (N0P/m)