[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1WHS Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1WHS Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 02:26:18 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K9PW K0DI K1BX WZ1V WW1M K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: FN43MJ
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  336    53
    2:  318    50
  222:  116    32
  432:  186    38
  903:   29    14
  1.2:   41    15
  2.3:   18     9
  3.4:    3     3
  5.7:    0     0
  10G:    4     4
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  956   173  Total Score = 217,634

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

A pretty small effort this time from the State of Maine. Most of the old crew
have dropped out. Most of our ops are "from away". K0DI came from S.
Cal. K9PW drove from Chicago, and WZ1V came from Connecticut. Thanks to Art
K1BX who held down the six meter station very well under flat condx. The tropo
that some people observed to our west on Sunday evening, did not materialize
here. The only tropo contact beyond our normal range was W4HN but he was only
worked on 144. They were not copyable on 222 or 432, although we could hear
others working them.  We did try a few meteor skeds between 11PM and 2 AM
Sunday morning. We had an almost 100% success rate on both bands. We actually
got some sleep between 2 and 6 AM. That was nice for us older folks. We will
probably enter as a limited multi although we did make some microwave contacts
on some of the higher bands. They are listed in the totals. We had serious
problems with 3.4, 5.7 and 10 GHz this time. 5.7 was totally dead. 3.4 was not
far behind!! It is hard to keep this stuff going, and even harder to entice
good operators to join the group! (That is the main reason for our Limited
Multi status.) The bottom line was that we had a great time, with beautiful
weather and great company. The bands could have been better, and activity
seemed way down compared to a  few years ago, but that has not dampened our
enthusiasm. We also had no rover teams to cover any of our vacant northern grid
squares. It was especially nice to catch VE1RM/R on 144 and 432 from Nova
Scotia. Most excitement for me was snagging FM27 on 222 and 432 in the last few
minutes of the contest. Without that, the last few hours were forgettable due to
poor activity and no good propagation.