[3830] CQ WW RTTY KV4FZ SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY KV4FZ SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 00:00:45 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: U.S. Virgin Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------------
Total: 1296      91      214   162  Total Score = 1,552,308

Club:

Comments:

First time in a RTTY Contest but with limited time to actually operate.  I was
hoping to add to my total goal of DXCC via RTTY and found that 15 meters was
the most productive band.  I should have tried a 15 meter single band effort as
this was the only place I could sustain a good run.  Working JA's from here is
not easy on any band but on 15 they came rolling in for several hours. I
started the contest with the amp but had to give that up when the old main
breaker started arcing on one leg before it burned out entirely.   I am sort of
glad this happened before the CQWW at the end of the month.  Today I was able to
get a new power meter base and all is well.  Fortunately I had the 120 volt AC
leg to the shack still working.  I must admit that this is not a contest for LP
stations on the low bands.  My only chance was on the higher bands using a 3
element quad that gave me a bit of a boost.  The low bands except for a few
multipliers on 80 and 40 was nearly hopeless for me with a dipole or vertical.
Another problem was so many stations that asked me for my state over and over.
So i programmed a macro to send DX DX USVI.  They should have understood this
from my zone 08 but so many new stations don't remember that the original call
for the United States Virgin Islands was "KV4" for many years until
the FCC decided we should have exclusively KP2 assigned here.  Years ago I
promised DX king and Yasme co-founder KV4AA that I would keep my original VI
call.  Most logging programs reflect this as a DX entity.  Yet I have always
wonder why the KP4 stations were not changed and allowed to retain their calls
indicating Puerto Rico and the VI stations however were expected to apply for
KP2 calls.  I understand the decision to do that was a single bureaucrat at the
FCC felling that the KV4 call was no longer consistent to their new call sign
assignment plans.

I'm not sure what this score summery means but that is what was produced by
N1MM. But I include it anyway.

 Band    QSOs    Pts  ZN    Cty
   3.5      74     175   11   24   23
     7     125     299   15   32   33