[3830] Oceania SSB VK3TZ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Oceania SSB VK3TZ SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 11:54:30 +0000
                    Oceania DX Contest, Phone

Call: VK3TZ
Operator(s): VK3TZ
Station: VK3TZ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Melbourne
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:   14     6
   80:   12     8
   40:  337   197
   20:  375   237
   15:  259   182
   10:   17    12
-------------------
Total: 1025   642  Total Score = 1,944,618

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

Well, the first time I have given this contest a decent hammering for quite a
few years.

First off, congrats to Dave NH2T (N2NL) for a magnificent score. Well done and
I hope that all the treatment is successful and you make a full and lasting
recovery. I would have loved to catch you on 160.

Conditions did not seem to great with signals not as strong, especially the 20m
LP to Europe. I started late (50mins) because I ran around to all the neighbors
to let them know I'd be running a contest this weekend. No complaints during
the test please! It worked. First time I have run a contest with the solid
state amp and all was well except for no tune on 160m. All 160m QSOs were
barefoot. 80m was a wasteland this year. Nothing heard at sunrise, so 40m was
the go, and the money band. Great to be able to quickly QSY and move mults with
full power.

I simply can't operate for 24hrs straight. So, the 4 hour nap was taken between
2230z and 0230z. I missed the 10m opening I knew was happening, but could not
concentrate. A better result would be had by getting some sleep. I was after
2million plus 1000Qs. Got to the 1000Q with 30mins to spare after a desperate
fight on 20m LP at 100/hr for the last 2. But missed getting to 2M raw score.

Highlights were being called by VP9 and V51. I've not worked V51 in years. Also
quite a few PY, LU etc and a few of the ZS boys were about too. Enjoyed a few
chats, including N9NA on 15m and then we finally QSOd on 10m after a sched
failed. 40m opened up early to EU and some good operation from USA despite the
clash with the CAQp. Other highlights including working many more Gs than ever
before. The new 2E prefixes got me by surprise a few times. Marty (OH2BH) was
around with big signals but I missed him on 80m and 160m... and of course 10m.

I was well behind Ollie OH0XX operating at Dave VK3EWs QTH with substantially
bigger towers and lower noise floor, as well as VK4QH and some of the ZLs but
happy with the score from a city lot. The noise here is pretty much constant s7
and at times s9plus 20 so sorry if I could not hear you. The QRN from plasmas,
computers, switchmodes, powerlines, cableTV just gets worse every year.

Antennas here are a TH6DXX at 15m, a rotary dipole for 40m and slopers for 80m
and 160m. For the CW weekend I shall re-erect the 160m vertical, and try to
resurrect my RX loop.

Cheers and look forward to seeing everyone's entry, and a few more Qs in the CW
leg. 73s

Tony
VK3TZ
Deputy Chair Oceania DX Contest Committee.