[3830] CaQP K6R M/MCntyExp LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rclocher3@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP K6R M/MCntyExp LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 19:15:31 +0000
                    California QSO Party

Call: K6R
Operator(s): K7KO KF7IBL IF7IBN NA7OM W7GH
Station: K6R

Class: M/MCntyExp LP
QTH: Crescent City, CA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:   83      9
   40:   62      8
   20:  210    250
   15:  161     50
   10:   34
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club:

Comments:

A bunch of us from Medford, Oregon and Grants Pass, Oregon started a new
contest club, the Rogue RF Project, back in May.  Our first contest was the
7th Call Area QSO Party (7QP), where we took second place overall with call
sign K7LIX, and first place in Oregon.

We got most of the group together again for the California QSO Party, with a
plan for an expedition to Del Norte County, population 28,610, using call sign
K6R.  We decided to operate from the KOA Kampground near Crescent City.  We
had
two portable towers with tribander yagis and six operators, and we were set up
as a multi-multi.

We arrived to find perfect weather, with temperatures in the mid-seventies
(Fahrenheit) and little or no wind, which was welcome since the area had been
thrashed with an unseasonably early storm a week before.

The dreaded gremlins put in an appearance: our computers refused to network at
first, despite having worked perfectly with the same router at home.
Eventually
we got that sorted, and we set to work.  When the dust had settled, we'd made
some 867 contacts and 56 multipliers, missing only VT and NT.  That was short
of
our goal, which was to beat the all-time record for Del Norte County of 1,081
contacts, set in 2010 by N6YEU as a single-op.  Oh well, we're rookies and
there's always next year!  We sure had a great time.  The high point of the
weekend was working SM7ZDI for his last California county, finishing his quest
that he started twelve years ago.