[3830] Makrothen RTTY VE9AA SO/Single Xcvr LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Makrothen RTTY VE9AA SO/Single Xcvr LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 16:05:30 +0000
                    Makrothen RTTY Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SO/Single Xcvr LP
QTH: FN66
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
   80:    3
   40:   50
   20:  108
   15:  152
   10:  107
------------
Total:  420  Total Score = 2,061,510

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

A couple big thrills for me in this one.  VU2NKS calling in over the pole with a
nice signal.  Blew my mind , remembering
I am running ~65w and a new HF9V @ 8' with 2 raised radials per band.
Another WOW moment was FO5QB hearing me and piecing together my call to make a
good QSO out of it.
Good ears OM, you were in the noise and I appreciate you sticking with it.
Worked also a few JA's which for me is a first running LP.

10m was pretty good to EU and parts of the USA. On 10m I run a very low yagi.
It's my one band which at times I can be moderately loud on.  EU was in here
like gangbusters
Sunday morning, but it didn't last long.  Nearly 100 in the log, with me
running. (very rare for me on RTTY)
I really have to learn how to do the LOG-then-POP thing using N1MM as it gets
cumbersome to say "TU, QRZ?"
knowing there's callsigns you see calling you.  Oops!

RTTY folks; why is it people call me with my call then their call 3, 4 or even
6 times?
I know MY call.....your call can be dumped in twice and most times this is
sufficient.
Since I am mostly a CW (or sometimes SSB) guy, this practice on RTTY makes no
sense to me.
My one (minor) grumble for this contest, hi !

Activity was pretty good overall. Lots of other contests going on which I am
sure took the activity down slightly
from what it might have been.

It will be very interesting to read the prop reports from all over to see if
it's mostly just my new antenna (perception)
or whether condx were generally above par, hi !

Did anyone else have an OE2K stn call them repeatedly but never complete the
QSO with a grid locator ?