[3830] CQWW SSB 8P2K(8P6SH) SOSB/10 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 8P2K(8P6SH) SOSB/10 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 00:18:22 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 8P2K
Operator(s): 8P6SH
Station: 8P6SH

Class: SOSB/10 LP
QTH: 8P
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1505    33       99  Total Score = 523,512

Club:

Comments:

What amazing band conditions all week-end on 10m. It was so busy there I never
even tuned any of the nightime bands to listen in on 49m as I normally might.
There was propagation to some part of the world every moment of the contest.

Not huge expectations as I was operating LP on 10m but I was pleasantly
surprised and had a great time.

Rig was an FT950 which held up pretty well but was definitely not quite up to
the task with the strong signals all week-end. An AC0C filter hopefully will
improve the RX issues.

Antennas included 2 and 3 element LFA Yagis and a homebrew vertical array fixed
north.

I heard all 40 zones and at least another 20 mults but wasn't able pierce the
pileups with 100 watts. The only grouse was with an operator who spent his time
working by numbers. I'm sure there is some merit in this for net operations but
it is a most frustrating method of working a pileup. It never struck this op
that there might be merit in at least asking for a standby for other
continents. So I missed a mult but then again so did he. After spending a short
while monitoring I knew I wasn't about to waste my time.

Unfortunately even though there was propagation on Sunday, it felt like at
1600z or so, someone turned down the propagation. You could still work 'em but
with lots more difficulty and more noise on the band too. This was magnified as
a LP op. The last 8 hours or so were a real grind.

Thanks to all the great ops who activated lots of multipliers and for making a
great week-end. I can't imagine what the SOSB 10m HP scores will be like.

Until next year!!!

73, Dean - 8P6SH / 8P2K