[3830] CQWW SSB OL3R(OK1VWK) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB OL3R(OK1VWK) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 03:04:29 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: OL3R
Operator(s): OK1VWK
Station: OL3R

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 28:25

  160:   29     5       19
   80:   98     9       46
   40:  196    22       69
   20:  430    34      104
   15:  564    35      100
   10:  548    39      119
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

New 40/80m vertical (EA6XD Moregain style at 15m DX-wire fibreglass mast) burned
down in first 3 hours. Home brewed PVC antenna insulator is definitely not the
same quality material like PTFE when rain and humidity is high. And it was
weather conds at my location first contest period. High RF voltage at the ends
of antenna did own job. When my OM-Power SWR protection said no no, something
wrong, tried key-down low powered TX and watched St Elmo's fire at the top of
vertical 10 min after stop TX. Famous scenario at the night in compare to what
says SWR meter at this moment :-) Decided stop operation and sleep bcs no TX
antenna for low bands. Left-over 160m Inv.V wasnt good idea for the rest of
battle.

Saturday morning decided to repair it and change insulator material for PTFE.
Vertical was back in operation state after 9h outage. Lucky but day bands in
first part of contest were definitely lost. It was crucial decision. Upper
bands were extremely good in DX propagation here. Mainly 10 and 15m. Continued
without chance but happy that everything worked fine.

CU in CW part ...