[3830] CQWW SSB W1PH(W6PH) SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W1PH(W6PH) SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:20:48 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W1PH

Class: SOAB Classic HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:   13     7        8
   40:  134    22       63
   20:  197    24       76
   15:  246    23       81
   10:  410    25       92
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  IC-7000 SB-220 Cushcraft AV-5 vertical CT 9.57

We found ourselves at our NH QTH for unexpected family reasons.  I wasn't going
to operate this contest but the high SF index drew me in as well as the
"Classic" category.  The house was full of grand kids and they kept
hearing me say "W One Papa Hotel" and "Five Nine Oh Five".
They wanted to operate!

There was no preparation whatsoever.  I found an old Cushcraft 5 band vertical
in my basement and erected it in the back yard on Friday afternoon with five
random radials.  I didn't check out my venerable TS-930S before the contest and
found no audio from it when I started.  I swapped it out for my IC-7000.  Then I
found that the T/R relay was intermittent in the SB-220.  After fiddling with it
I finally got everything to work but it was a couple hours into the contest.
The SWR was sky high on 75 meters but I managed to make a few contacts there.
On Sunday morning the SWR on the vertical went bonkers and I pulled the antenna
down and took off the 40m and 80m parts to make a three band vertical.

The conditions were about the best that I can remember.  All contacts were
S&P and I never ran out of new stations to work.  The 10m band had stations
all the way to 29.1 MHz.  My zone totals are far less than other stations which
reflects the limits of a simple antenna.

I'm still using CT9.  It works very well for my level of operation with one
radio and no internet.  No need to change.  The Classic category is perfect but
a slightly longer time limit (30 hours) would be nice to take advantage of some
propagation opportunitis as well as getting enough rest.  At 71 years I don't
spring back as well as I used to.  It is the OF syndrome.

Rumor has it that WA1Z and I will be at VP9I for CQWW CW.

73, Kurt W6PH