[3830] CQWW SSB K0TT SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K0TT SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 04:06:42 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0TT
Operator(s): K0TT
Station: K0TT

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:   11     6        5
   80:   43    13       23
   40:  147    21       62
   20:  189    24       64
   15:  421    34      102
   10:  611    31      107
------------------------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

I have only dabbled in the CQWW DX contests in the past. However, the conditions
were so good this weekend that I decided I would give a full effort. I might not
experience conditions this good for an entire weekend from MN again in my
lifetime.
Running LP was an exercise in PATIENCE. In general, I was able to make a QSO
only if nobody else was calling. 99% of my contacts were S&P. Tried calling
CQ a few times, but only got a few takers. As good as conditions were, they
appeared to be at least 10dB better to other parts of the US most of the time.
Exceptions were 10m early morning to EU/AS and the usual N-S path on 10m to SA
in the afternoon. There was a significant noise burst on 10m Sunday afternoon,
but fortunately it passed quickly with no blackout. 80 and 160 conditions were
poor. 80 was better the 2nd evening. At least I was able to work a few
Caribbean and AF on day 2.
Highlights included stumbling upon 7O2A on 10m (I thought it was SO2A at
first), and easily working B9/BY9GA on 20m using my meager dipole element at
80'.
Still plenty of wideband splatter transmitters on the air this year and
stations calling CQ on the band edges (technically outside of the band). It
will be interesting to see if the contest committee actually assesses any
penalties based on the new rules.