[3830] CQWW SSB OL4A(@OK1RF/OK1RI) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sanda@jimaz.cz
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB OL4A(@OK1RF/OK1RI) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 19:33:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: OL4A
Operator(s): OK1DO OK1DSZ OK1FFU OK1RI OK8WW OM6NM
Station: OK1RF/OK1RI

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Brezina
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  280    14       60
   80:  971    20       91
   40: 1605    32      115
   20: 1920    39      153
   15: 1845    39      144
   10: 2387    39      152
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

The propagation was GREAT.
We worked on 3 elements 80m Yagi (almost full size) the weeks before the
contest and finally in Monday it went up onto the rotor.
I knew there might be a problem with rotor on 10m stack - that it rotates very
slowly and stops sometimes but still in July it worked, viz later.

Since most of the station worked fine during the IARU contest, I was not
nervous about other bands. Well just in about 2000 GMT we found out that the
rotor from our 40m 5Y Yagi in 52m is not working. The tree phase motor was
completely damaged probably strike during thunderstorm ??? The high Yagi was
stuck into "INDIAN ocean", so.... we climbed the tower during night
and "somehow" managed to rotate the upper Yagi, it went to JA and the
low one is to the USA fixed. This damaged our morale, we knew we are not
competitive anymore, so we said, OK we will operate, take it easy just to have
FUN. The unmovable antenna really damaged our multipliers on 40m - we could
hear only big gun stations from SA, we could not copy ZD8O (!!!) etc... Also
there was not stack to the USA - only single Yagi in 27m.... Another calamity
came with the rotor on 10m - just after noon in Sunday it got stuck to the
north, so we removed the rotor, it was still stuck. Most of the tower (4x6Y all
rotate together) rotates, the whole system was made in 1988 and was working fine
since. So we "opened" the gears in 12m - and found there is "lost
screw" in the bearing - it must have been there somewhere harmlessly all
the time last 25 years without any problem and finally this Sunday it got
inside ? So fix was easy we just lost almost 4 hours of best time on 10m.
OK no harm done - we know we can not compete with TM6M in one of the best spots
in Europe even having probably 2-3x times as much aluminum in the air.

We remembered our last 3 years of operation from C5A - it was really something
else compared to middle EU location.....
We observed how our friends from D4C are doing in their try for new MM record (
I personally did not believed they will do it ) and unfortunately I was right.
Anyway congrats to their unconditional win. Also congrats to ES9C for their
super result from northern QTH - unpredictable chance !

Hope to hear you all in CW leg - we will try something really silly this
year.....

73 !

Jiri
OK1RI