[3830] CQWW SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 03:46:22 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40: 2000    32      110
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2000    32      110  Total Score = 675,000

Club:

Comments:

I had not used my station since the WPX contest in March. After a summer of
working on antennas and towers, I really looked forward to actually operating.
I planned on either going on 15m using my new homebrew array or doing another
20m effort. When setting up the station just prior to the contest, I discovered
a local noise problem on 15m which made copying weaker station difficult.  When
I switched to 20m, I noticed it was damaged by a lightning strike and I had no
time to make the repairs. The 40m antennas seemed to be working well so I
decided to operate on this band. I had not done a single band effort on 40m
phone in many years and I was not really sure what to expect. When the contest
started the band was wide open to Europe and it seemed like everyone was on
40m. It quickly became extremely difficult to hear the stations calling me and
to maintain a clear frequency.  There were so many stations crowded in a very
small band segment and I quickly had to learn to tolerate the QRM and work what
I could. Rates improved after the first hour and I started to enjoy this
challenge. Conditions were fantastic, at one point during the night 40m was
open in all directions. I was running Europe an hour after their sunrise and at
the same time I had stations in Japan, Australia and South America calling me.
It was incredible! CQWW is definitely the big daddy of DX contests as I never
ran out of callers, even in the last hour when it was after midnight in parts
of Europe. Unfortunately 18% of my contacts were from USA stations which have a
zero point value. A few days after the contest I checked the CQWW record page
and it appears that I have broken the U.S. record! I would like to thank
everyone for the QSOs. Many rare countries called me and many contacts required
multiple repeats to complete though all of QRM. I really appreciate everyone’s
efforts to make a good contact. Please QSL via WD9DZV

73,
John KK9A aka W4AAA and P40A