[3830] SS CW N1CC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N1CC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 01:35:29 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 21

------------
  160:    0
   80:   62
   40:  242
   20:  139
   15:  215
   10:   55
------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Rig:  Yaesu FT-990 100W, MFJ-1026 Noise Cancellor.  Antennas: Force 12 C3 @ 63
ft; Alpha-Delta DX-LB (Works on 80 and 40, does not work on 160) at 50 ft at
center, ends about 40 ft; Inverted L at 50' with 2 counterpoise radials (Had to
be used to work a close in station on 80 Meters who could not hear me on any
other 80 meter antenna; and DX Engineering 43 ft vertical with base tuner -
used only as the noise antenna on 80 meters.  Otherwise on 40 and above no
noise level of enough problem to require attention (Quiet out here in the
woods).

Antennas played well, however I (Yeah me) mismanaged when I was going to be on
20, and the result is that the high dipole on 40 produced more contacts than
the beam on 20.  I could dominate a frequency on 10, 15, or 40 and chose to
mostly run there.  Only had one serious issue, a "famous" ham from a
"rare" Section tried to steal my run frequency on 40 ... I kept the
pileup going, but it was slower - I was so tired during my last hour on the air
in the event, and this is just one of many times this "famous" ham has
interfered with me over many years ... I don't think his brain is fully engaged,
and he should retire - I worked three other stations in his Section, so who
cares.

I completed the sweep at 14:56 Sunday, I had heard VO1MP near the start of the
contest but the packet pile had already found him....so waited and looked for
him when NL was still not worked ... and sat in a small pile, the packet boys
must have gotten tired.

My goal was to improve my score with the new location and station, and there is
no doubt that in less time I made over 100 QSO's more than last year, and my
score is much better.  There was a lot of NTX A-Class competition, so I know I
am not the "leader" .... Good to see NTCC'ers on the air working to
take our bragging title back from upstart club in the area - if we made that,
it is sweet.

Interesting propagation Sunday from 1855 to 1925.  West coast stations on 15M
had a 100-150 msec echo.  K9BGL in IL had to be worked Long Path, as the echos
on his signal made his usual big signal not readable.  Near the end of that
event, WA7LNW was in the "echo chamber" and could not peak him - but
did get the copy. Wonder if anyone else saw similar event.

See you all for the SSB weekend!  73, Jim