[3830] SS CW WA5RML Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW WA5RML Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 04:47:01 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WA5RML
Operator(s): WA5RML
Station: WA5RML

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 6

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  72
   10:
------------

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Yaesu FT-817ND @5 wts off of a 12 amp-hr battery to an INDOOR Buddipole;
Vibroplex Bug;

This was, perhaps, the most interesting Contest experience that I've ever had.

I had to "dog" sit for the weekend at my oldest daughter's house -
not too far from home.  I took my FT-817ND with me, a Vibroplex bug, and my
Buddipole - thinking that I'd forego the contest and just work some 17M stuff.

Well - for various reasons, I couldn't set my equipment up outside - so I had
to deploy the Buddipole in the 1st floor living room.  As small as a Buddipole
is, it is pretty large to deploy indoors!

Thinking that I'd just capture a few QSOs to keep a QSO-a-day streak alive, I
found out that the "station" worked pretty well.  One (1) hour on
Saturday and five (5) hrs on Sunday - what a hoot!

A critical mistake that I made was to restrict my operating to 15M only -
assuming that there was also a SOSB category.  No big deal because I had a
great time, but I think that the contest should have an SOSB category.

Sweepstakes is really one of my favorite contests and the accidental success of
my "low-profile" operation was very special. Thanks to all of the
stations that had the patience to dig my signal out of the QRM.  As I've said
in previous contests, if you worked me then you can assume that your signal was
pretty strong into North Texas!

73,
Andy - WA5RML