[3830] SS CW VE3HG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3hg@cogeco.ca
Subject: [3830] SS CW VE3HG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 12:27:56 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VE3HG
Operator(s): VE3HG
Station: VE3HG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: GTA
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

CW Sweepstakes isn't a contest that's much fun if you're searching and pouncing
which is typical of a QRP station. By Sunday noon I had worked pretty much
everyone I could hear. This means more hours on the CW trainer.

The other thing I thought would happen is there is no practical difference
between the $600 Flex 1500 and the $1700 Flex 3000 when it comes to the actual
operating experience. Yes the 3000 has a very good ATU and there's VOX which I
don't use in contests as I talk to myself (and others not in the room) too much
but working CW with 250 Hz filtering one CW contact after another with the Z-11
Pro autotuner working in the background when needed is pretty neat.

Now on SSB, it's the 3000 all the way but not my preferred mode. Also still
having FlexKnob lag issues when tuning and thinking again it looks like some
sort of port conflict as the Knob on the 1500 works fine. Wouldn't think it
would be FireWire problems but open to ideas.