[3830] SS CW W4PK SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4pk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W4PK SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 15:13:35 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 14

------------
  160:
   80:  124
   40:  187
   20:  130
   15:   83
   10:    6
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This cw-challenged operator did not dare to try running until late in the day
Sunday.  I am comfortable at around 25WPM or so but when speeds are at 30WPM or
more I have 1) trouble telling the difference between 7's and 8's in serial
numbers, and 2) trying to get all the information typed in before I had to
respond.  Plus, I had trouble copying serial numbers if the station would start
sending them without anything like a TU or NR in front of them.   Likewise I had
trouble if the sender would send the precedence "B" without a space
immediately following the serial number. Was it a B or a 6?  My apologizes to
all those higher-speed operators who I am certain I have made some mistakes in
copying your serial numbers.

When I did try my hand at running, I had the most success on 80M as the
stations were coming back to me at around 22-26 WPM.

I did manage to work all 83 sections with QC being the holdout.  I did try to
work a VE2 in QC earlier but he faded out and I never heard him acknowledge my
report.  When I tried to work him later on he sent me a "QSO B4".
Fortunately I had a different VE2 call me late in the contest from QC.  I also
had a few call me again when I had them already logged.  Of course I went ahead
and sent them a new message.

There were many QRP stations on for this contest, and I was amazed by how
strong some of them were!  I also had several call me when I was running and I
struggled with only a couple of them to pull their reports through the noise.

Thanks to all for putting up with my mediocre CW skills, and especially to
those of you who slowed down to match my speed when sending your message!

73, Sam W4PK