[3830] CQWW SSB OG6N(OH6NIO) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB OG6N(OH6NIO) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 18:33:18 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: OG6N
Operator(s): OH6NIO
Station: OG6N

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Mieto
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   52     7       33
   80:   74    11       52
   40:  108    28       88
   20:  503    35      107
   15: 1153    37      121
   10: 1122    39      133
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Finally we had a chance to enjoy some very nice openings on 10m. I wish we will
enjoy a rerun on the CW leg and the ARRL 10m contest. Breaking the 3kQSO mark
was a pleasant surprise as well as breaking the OH SOAB assisted record. Well I
lost the record to Jari OH8L who did a fine job and outperformed me as well as
Markku, OG2A who also beat me. Kudos to you guys but I want a rematch in the CW
leg!

The week prior to the contest was very busy at my station. On Monday Mark
OH6MMC repaired my low band dipoles and a 20m beam. On Friday I took a day off
and prepared for the contest whole day from dawn to dusk and beyond. The task
list shortened a bit but many issues were still left to be resolved later
during the coming weekends. For example I did not manage to repair my 20m stack
and I was forced to run the top beam only. It goes without saying that I did not
have much of rest before the contest started. I dozed off for just 1 hour.

The lack of rest took its toll on Sunday as I was sometimes in trouble when I
was trying to utter a correct word. Every once in a while I kept dozing off in
the middle of a QSO. I hope that this does not show in the UBN report. Finally
after a short break I got my act together and was able to continue.

I had the main radio hooked up to an AL-80A linear amplifier but I had hardly
any time to setup the second radio so I was running it barefoot. Later during
the contest it stopped working so I was basically SO1R. I wish I had had enough
time to test the setup. After the contest it turned out to be an intermittent
connector in the feed-line.

The lack of the second radio for the multipliers hurt badly my QSO count
because a quick calculation revealed that I was running only 22.5 hours and
used as much as 17.5 hours in search and pounce mode.

The start of the contest was difficult for me because I could hear the guys
from OH0 and south from me running stateside when I could not get my run going
no matter how I tried. Luckily the propagation improved at my QTH in the
morning. 10m was open until 17Z but then 15m offered good propagation for 3
hours. Around 20Z I was extremely tired and the higher bands were almost
closed. At 23Z 20m peaked shortly after which I went to bed for 4 hours.

Sunday morning started at 05Z with multiplier hunting on 160m, 80m, 40m and
20m. 06Z it was time to QSY to 10m to try some Asia. After 09Z I moved to 15m
for the last JAs and before 12Z back to 10m to nail a frequency for stateside
pileups. I moved back to 15m to run more stateside after 16Z.
I noticed that the propagation was rapidly going down around 19Z. I had to take
some refreshments and a short break to regain my energy resources for the final
push. Too bad 20m was very poor from here and when I was almost ready to throw
in the towel when the band finally opened and stayed open until the end.