[3830] SS CW WF7T(@WD4K) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brad.wf7t@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW WF7T(@WD4K) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 21:02:59 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WF7T
Operator(s): WF7T
Station: WD4K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  112
   40:  274
   20:  214
   15:   42
   10:   16
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Many thanks to Tommy WD4K and Julie Tow for the opportunity to run SS from their
home in Joelton. I appreciated their warm hospitality. I had a wonderful time.

Great fun was had last year running QRP so I thought to try it again. This time
I was fortunate to have access to a much stronger antenna setup and location at
WD4K. Several of the rotors on the stack were still out of commission from last
months lightning incident. Luckily the top triband yagi would turn, and the
other two yagis in the stack were fixed Northeast and West. The 40M 3-el was
fixed Northeast as well. The antenna situation would be totally workable! Tommy
and I threw a few last minute dipoles into the trees to provide for some
options.

As to my strategy, I wanted to focus on 40M and 20M as well as CQ more often.
As I S&P, If I found a free spot I would cast a CQ and try to get a run
going until I was inevitably driven off. I also wanted to used the second radio
in-band to look for mults whenever the opportunity presented itself. My only
major off-time would be for sleep, and take a couple 30-minute breaks around
meal time.

It took a few hours to hook up the second radio and get everything just so. We
just finished up with tweaks and tuning at the bell...And I was off.

Things were cranking along pretty well during Saturday afternoon until QRT for
the night. In retrospect. I probably should  have stopped to CQ more, but I was
not disappointed by the rate and multiplier accumulations. 77 sections, 340Qs. I
felt behind in the count, and I had told my wife prior to disappearing for the
weekend that I hoped to break 650Qs. If I had stopped with 400, I might have
felt better about my progress. Oh well, there was another day to make up for
lost time. I stopped by 0800 UTC, set my alarm and drifted quickly into
dreamless slumber, too tired to indulge in self-doubt.

Cue: That beginning movement of Rossini's William Tell Overture...sunlight
gently illuminating the room, bird's peeping, fluffy pillow...WAIT WHAT TIME
WAS IT!?

Chugged a quick cup of coffee and some yogurt, back to the radio almost two
hours later than I planned. The bands were hopping too! Dove in and tried to
leave any non-productive self-torment behind as best as possible. I had to
manage through my sleep drunkenness and try to get back into the groove. It
became all a blur.

At the dinner bell, I had finally worked the sweep, the last sections needed
were NE, WV, and ND.  In most cases I needed to trust my CQ would be answered
by the remaining mults needed for a sweep.  I had to go hunting for a few, and
I was fortunate to have the second radio available for the task.

The last two hours were spent looking for "fresh meat" and endlessly
calling CQ, just like everyone else. What a trudge! I surprised myself when
that impossible goal of 650Qs was made, with only a few (I think) QLF moments
due to my poor SO2R skills. My apologies to anyone who got caught up in one of
those moments.

I expect my score to be reduced after the log checkers do their thing. I
couldn't be more pleased regardless of the outcome. Another good SS in the
books! Lots of lessons learned for the next one.

It was a real pleasure to work so many familiar calls from TCG and the Thursday
Night Sprint series. As well, I appreciated the fantastic showing by all the QRP
ops. Thanks to everyone!

Confirmation #: 4226454.arrl-ss-cw

73 Brad WF7T
Nashville, TN