[3830] SS CW WX0B(AD5Q) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW WX0B(AD5Q) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 04:14:11 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  131
   40:  445
   20:  335
   15:  388
   10:   26
------------

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

It's been a long time since I've done a serious SS - 13 years. So I went into
this kind of clueless, especially regarding strategy on Sunday. I also spent 3
days customizing Win-Test for this contest, and got that mostly right. The
reason I've avoided the SS all these years is mostly related to software. I
actually have a lot to say on the subject of contest data entry because I've
been doing it for longer than any of you, but you can skip my BS by not
clicking on this link:

http://qth.com/ad5q/PreHistory.pdf

I think I got off to a great start, not going to 40 until 0107z, which was
early enough to get a good frequency at 7026. This really helped keep the rate
up until Windows locked up at 0322z and I lost the frequency and my momentum. I
tried running on 80 and higher in the band on 40, and kept trying to find a
frequency near where I was. Even with the panadapter I found no holes in the
band, but secured 7034 four hours later. The PC froze up twice more, each time
needing re-boot.

After I shut down for the night I stayed up an extra hour tweaking LUA scripts,
and inadvertently fixed what's been causing the PC to freeze for the last 2
contests. The Win-Test guys need to know about this so look for a post on their
reflector.

Sunday was BETTER than expected, but I didn't do the off-times right and missed
part of one of the better runs. You guys that know when football games are and
aren't on TV have an advantage over me. I have never in my life watched one,
and I lost ground vs the other locals.

My score worried one of the locals who posted a score in the top 10. I missed
his call on my cell when driving back from Dallas, but we talked after I got
home. This gets weird, so I need to ask you guys: It it true that everybody on
this reflector posts their score totals INCLUDING all the dupes? I have always
posted the net score, not counting them, and now I'm told that I'm doing it
wrong and I don't really believe it. I think EVERYBODY should post the NET
score. So this time I have goosed my totals and included 40 dupes plus 1 QSO
worked after the 24 hour limit. So for the record my NET score is 1284 x 83. So
you have both numbers. Please write me if I did it wrong.

Roy -- AD5Q