[3830] SS SSB NK7J Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB NK7J Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 03:57:06 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: NK7J
Operator(s): NK7J W7SMF
Station: NK7J

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
  160:    0
   80:   61
   40:   58
   20:   82
   15:  165
   10:   62
------------

Club:

Comments:

As usual we had fun with the contest, was disappointed we missed the sweep by 1
section. Utah of all places. First year since doing this contest (started on
the 75th anniversary) that we missed a clean sweep.

Did not have near the time to prepare or devote to it as usual as we just had
twins 2 months ago and of course life is a tad hectic right now. But did manage
to squeeze in some time. Sunday afternoon with about 5 hours left we were down
to needing MT,SB,  EWA, NNY, KY, WCF, ID and UT. Decided to just spend some
time to trying to do some runs on 15 and 20, sure enough on 15 got KY (TNX
ND4X). Not long after on 20 N2AT gave us WCF. KD7DCR gave us MT on a 80 meters,
 AB2ZY gave us NNY and N6ZE produced SB on 40 meters, WA7LT on 80 meters
manifested EWA in the log (finally) which left us with UT with about  90
minutes left to go.

I seen UT spotted on 40 meters and figured this was it, finally the clean
sweep. Only problem was we could barely here the Utah Station on 40. Hoping he
would eventually come over to 80 meters to improve our chances we plopped down
on 80 and starting calling CQ with the occasional sweep across the rest of the
band looking for UT. The whole time watching diligently the UT spot indicator
waiting for it to turn green so we could pounce. Made some nice contacts on 80
that last hour or so but alas, no Utah. Who would have figured missing one
section could leave you with such a nasty knot in your stomach.

I also discovered that I am truly not a low power kind of guy, that was a real
test of my already frazzled patience.  I had sold my amps this summer to fund
some other much needed projects around the place and never got around to
replacing them and the contest crept up on me much faster than I expected. Due
to the lack of extra time also found out Saturday that my 160 sloper, one of my
80, one of my 40 meter slopers were not working, and my 40 meter element on the
fan dipole was broken. While taking a stroll out to the 80/40 slopers found one
of the loading hats laying on the ground for the A4S for 40 meters.... nice.  So
that made for some fun times on the low bands.

My hat goes off to you QRP guys, wow.  I understand the quest for a challenge
but wholly cow man. My 100 watts was enough to make me want to rip my eyebrows
out.

All in all for serious lack of time, 2 new babies , no amp and crap for low
band antennas I had a blast  all due to a very understanding, helpful and
fabulous XYL . Next year's goal is 1200 Q's and a sweep..... let's see how that
pans out.