[3830] SS SSB K7RL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K7RL Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 15:44:40 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WWA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   78
   40:  459
   20:  397
   15:  674
   10:  398
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Fun contest, but I can’t help but think I missed out on a big bunch of Qs
without the full use of my second radio. Aside from using it to find missing
multipliers, it sat idle because I haven’t found a good way to make the
sequential serial numbers work on SSB. Some use computer generated voice files
that used to sound robotic and slow, but seem to sound smoother now from what I
heard. Maybe that’s an option. A good microphone switch might do it too.

The other problem is a good spot to run on SSB is like gold, especially in the
general portion of the bands. With the long exchange you can easily lose your
frequency if you disappear for a few seconds to work a new one. In this
contest, that can be a major setback on a band like 40m which was wall-to-wall
the entire weekend.

Anyone else notice the wicked QSB and QRN, especially on 40m? The +20 static
crashes certainly made it a challenge Saturday night - I apologize to those for
the numerous repeats and thank you for hanging in there with me. To say the
least, it was an interesting weekend with the bands running long, medium, and
short coupled with high QRN levels. On the plus side, we had more bands open
and didn’t have to all compress and multi-layer on 20m and 40m. That’s
always good!

By Sunday mid-morning I was still missing VI, NT, NL, and EWA. The really tough
one this year was VI. Finally found WP2Z on 10m for only VI heard or worked.

Congratulations to those heard with some big numbers! I think this will be a
very competitive year. As always, thank you to all for the Qs!

73, Mitch, K7RL