[3830] SS SSB W4LT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4lt@ij.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4LT Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:12:33 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Tampa, FL
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:   41
   40:  334
   20:  808
   15:  320
   10:   22
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Moral of the story:  There is no substitute for being rested, for motivation,
from challenging competitors and, most importantly, for Butt-In-Chair time.

Hit all of my goals:  Fourth consecutive SSB sweep, over 1500 Q's and over
250,000 points.

Perhaps my best performance in a SSB contest to date.  Took day off before to
be rested and ready.  No technical issues with my personal antenna challenged
station whatsoever.  Even had support of family on this one, with XYL bringing
me food and drink when needed WITHOUT BEING ASKED.  Thanks to next door
neighbor for the use of his front yard tree as the support for my low band wire
to for better ConUS coverage.

No real QRM from Anti-Contester crowd (some whistling and carriers, those I can
deal with) allowed me to hold a run frequency for over three hours with 110w on
20.  Many of you were glad to accomodate moving away from my frequency when
asked, so thank you all for your gentlemanly (and on one occasion, ladylike)
manners... There is hope for us yet!

Last section was NL for the sweep.  Heard many old friends including surprise
appearance by W1RH at TWO call signs and Elecraft designer K6KR whom I thanked
for my equipment.

P3 useful in finding clear run frequencies, as well as being able to click on
peaks to work stations when coming on a new band, makes ops very efficient.
Now If only I could have push button band change from one band to another from
the second receiver frequency and switchable P3 display to/from either
receiver... Man, that feature would be great, Elecraft! KRX3 worth its weight
in gold in finding in band mults between CQ's, almost as efficient as real
SO2R.

Thanking all 1525 of you for your QSO's.

Rig:
- Elecraft K3 with P3 and KRX3 with 8 pole 1.8 filters in both RX
Antennas:
- Cushcraft A3S at a staggering height of 40 feet!
- Homebrew two half waves in phase, ladder line fed, configured as a V-Beam
with a 80 degree lobe centered on the border of PA and Ohio (with thanks to my
next door neighbor for the use of his front lawn Oak Tree for the western leg)
and an apex at 38 feet.
- S9V ground mounted 33 foot fiberglass vertical with Comtek balun and 8
radials for KRX3 independent receive.

Lu-W4LT