[3830] SS SSB K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 03:06:41 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 18:44

------------
  160:
   80:  216
   40:   72
   20:   61
   15:   84
   10:   33
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

TS-850SAT.  200-ft tree-supported dipole about 50 ft up.  CT-DOS with K1EA DVK
on an ancient PC retired from W3LPL (thanks, Frank!).  Low flexibility for Off
times -- personal commitments keep me from starting until about 01Z Saturday
night.

For SS CW, in spite of the big competition with NCCC, I QSYed to VE4EA.  In
compensation to PVRC I committed to making an extra push in SS Phone (feh!) to
Help the Club.  Well, I wound up about 25 QSOs down from last year, which was
my first "full effort" in SS SSB (feh!).  I must have forgotten how
hard last year was, because this year felt brutal until last two hours when I
got a run going around 3635, pulling in 70 QSOs from the Eastern Population
Center.  (Finding a clear freq for CQ is easier with a sub-par ant/rcvr system.
 And I figure that if the callers are loud enough for me to hear, then I will be
loud enough for them to hear me over the QRM that I cannot hear.)

First time experiencing a really open 10M band.  I even nabbed an overwhelmed
KL7 ragchewer whom I coaxed thru his NR 3.

Fun to use my "small signal" skills from CW in finding run freq's and
in cracking pileups.  (It's harder on 'phone.)  And it's FUN to do the "Boy
and His Radio" mode (copyright K0HB) to find the Sections.  (It's easier on
'phone.)