[3830] CQWW CW N6RV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kendrick.w@ca.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N6RV SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 01:22:40 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N6RV
Operator(s): N6RV
Station: N6RV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 38
Radios: SO2R

  160:    8     5        4
   80:   27    10       12
   40:  228    24       80
   20:  222    30       73
   15:  202    27       68
   10:  306    28       73
------------------------------
Total:  993   124      310  Total Score = 1,191,330

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

What Can I say? Great conditions even down to 160 Meters. It was a real joy
running up and down the bands working stations everywhere all at once. From the
score you can see that my time was spread evenly over the top four bands. Forty
meters was a real surprise. It was like 20 meters decided to extend down an
octave! The same stations were the same strength on both bands. And speaking of
20 when have you ever heard an S2 (Bangladesh) station begging for contacts
LP... for hours on end? !!! I missed the Indian Ocean LP opening on 20 or maybe
no one was on it but zone 29 LP over South America was another surprise! We poor
individuals on the West Coast are not visited by that path very often. 10 and 15
were heaven. Looking at the spectrum display in full span all you could see was
a forest of signals. BTW the Flex spectrum scope is one of the saving graces of
that box. It was simple to find a run frequency and even simpler to hop from
station to station in S&P.

In spite of the great conditions my score did not improve! What did change is I
used my KX-3 as the second radio. Sure, it was only 12 watts but that was enough
for S&P while the Flex 5000a was doing the running. The problem was the
operator. He has two ears but only one brain! The data was flowing in from both
ears in stereo but the wires kept getting crossed! Most of the time I just let
the run radio transmit while I loaded the band map with the KX-3. When it came
time for a band change I would use the 100 watt radio to bust the pile ups I
missed with the QRP rig. Again it was a pleasure working everyone! It is always
sad to look up at the clock and realize that in a few minutes it will be a year
before the fun begins again!

Radios
Flex 5000a
(Since it was basically on a single frequency it did not lock up and the finals
survived continually sending CQ)

Elecraft KX-3
Best radio I have ever owned!)

Antennas: