[3830] CQWW CW VY1EI M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb5aar@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VY1EI M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 01:49:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VY1EI
Operator(s): VY1EI N5RZ
Station: VY1EI

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Yukon
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Remote Operation

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   28     6        5
   40:  242    20       43
   20:  746    26       69
   15:  563    23       45
   10:  783    25       42
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

What an adventure.

N6TR, who did a very successful remote operation in CW SS set me up with Eric
who wanted to do a M/S in CQWW CW, with the "guest" using a remote
access.

I sat in Texas with a K3/0, RemoteRig, Laptop with WriteLog & a K1EL
Winkey, and was able to remote Eric's K3 in the Yukon.  I did most of the
actual operating, but Eric earned his keep by retuning the amp and switching
& rotating antennas when time to change bands. Plus he would operate when I
was resting.  We started using I/M to communicate, but found that took too much
Internet Bandwidth from my 22 mile wireless service, which was further stressed
by the very icy & inclement WX we had in Texas. About 15 hours into the
contest we ended up strictly using smartphones to converse.

Condx are very interesting in VY1.  80M was pretty much a washout.  40M was
poor the first night, good at Sunrise Saturday morning, & excellent
Saturday evening.  Excellent, meaning some EU's could actually hear us!  Lost
Sunday morning due to a power outage at my QTH from 1030-1400Z.

Hard to get good multipliers with only 44 EU Q's on 40M, 69EU on 20M, &
14EU on 15M and zip on 10M!!   Only heard 2 or 3 EU on 10M, and all the Q's to
EU were well earned.   1686 NA QSO's & 436 Asian QSO's.  We easily heard a
couple of hundred mults that couldn't hear us.

Good openings to JA & USA on 10/15 Saturday afternoon & 10/15/20 on
Sunday.

The operation went pretty seamless, though I had to "reboot" the
RemoteRig connection a lot due to the presumed low bandwidth Internet
capability on my end.  My Internet receive antennas had about an inch thick ice
coating!!  Apologize for the disruptions when I was running - thanks for
everyone's patience.  Eric's modest station did very well!

Look forward to more remote operations in the future from VY1EI.   As it turns
out, with the giant ice/thunderstorm activity we had in Texas all weekend long,
and the power outage Sunday morning, it ended up being a delightful alternative
to what would have been a long miserable operation had I used my station!

Thanks to Eric for hanging in there all weekend, mainly just monitoring me
having fun using his station.   And thanks to all for the QSO's, especially
those mults that took the time to dig us out.

73, Gator, N5RZ  & Eric, VY1EI