[3830] CQWW CW NF1R(@W6YX) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, clayton.nall@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NF1R(@W6YX) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 03:13:14 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NF1R
Operator(s): NF1R
Station: W6YX

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 25.6

  160:
   80:
   40:   80    22       33
   20:  171    29       60
   15:  220    32       90
   10:  139    26       56
------------------------------
Total:  610   109      252  Total Score = 623,447

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

With Mike (N7MH) and John (W6LD) in Aruba at P40L, John (K2YY) and I operated
solo efforts from W6YX under our own calls.  I purchased a KX3 for condo and
field-operation use a few months ago, and was wondering what it would be like
to do a full-weekend DX contest at QRP levels (but with powerful antennas).

This was my first time operating QRP semi-seriously in a DX contest.
My time was limited by a previous commitment to attend the Big Game (Cal vs.
Stanford) with my wife, a Cal alum.  So I missed a big chunk of the Saturday
openings on the high bands.  Subject to my time constraints, I tried to
maximize my score by aggressively pursuing multipliers, since picking up mults
at random is not a feasible strategy when doing QRP from the West Coast.

A QRP QSO requires the support and patience of the other station, and it's hard
to predict who will help you make a contact, though I now have some rules of
thumb.  It was fun to sit on the QRP end and listen to the other op pause, then
wait to decide if they are going to make the effort, or maintain their rate by
working more loud stations.  Caribbean contest stations that are usually a
"gimme" QSO in the first few hours a KW or even 100 watts were
impossible to work until they started begging for Q's in the last few hours.  I
wasted a lot of time trying to work a few of the big stations but learned that
one can make more Q's by S&P'ing stations that are 1) common and 2) begging
for takers.

A few stations deserve extra credit for their efforts to dig out my signal
(especially).  Thanks to P40L for listening out (I worked them on the first or
second call on 4 bands), and to RU1A, HS0ZAR (Fred?), and many other operators
for their excellent listening skills.

Thanks to K2YY, who operated SOSB/15, for accommodating my operations on that
band (was only about 10 countries short of 15M DXCC), and to Larry N6DB and QRP
contester Mark, K6UFO, for helping with pre-contest setup.  Above all thanks to
N7MH for sharing his K3 while he was away for the weekend.

73
Clayton
NF1R

Antennas:
160M/80M: No Q's
40M: 4-element Yagi@ about 60 feet
20M: 6-el rotating and 5-el fixed monobanders, C31XR
15M: Mostly the C31XR, 5-el "fixed" monobander movable with rope
10M: Mostly the C31XR, 5-el Yagi fixed on Caribbean, 6-el monobander at 60
feet.