[3830] CQWW CW K0OD SOSB/40 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0OD SOSB/40 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 04:07:09 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0OD
Operator(s): K0OD
Station: K0OD

Class: SOSB/40 QRP
QTH: Saint Louis MO
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:
   40:  183    23       71
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Mississippi Valley DX/Contest Club

Comments:

For something different, I've been contesting recently with very simple QRP
radios. For the CQWW CW I entered single-band on 40 using my little Oak Hills
OHR-100A 5-watter which is surprisingly capable when coupled with a Timewave
DSP-9 audio filter, digital readout and other enhancements. The OHR compares
well with better radios in terms of sensitivity, but its lack of AGC can be
painful to the ears.

My set-up this weekend was certainly bottom-rung. Antenna was a DX Engineering
MBVE-1 43' vertical. My score is far better than I anticipated. Band conditions
were good all weekend and the severe storms, including tornadoes, that affected
the Midwest a few days earlier had moved away.

Jeff
K0OD
Saint Louis MO