[3830] CQWW CW N5AW SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N5AW SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 06:13:34 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 41:40
Radios: SO2R

  160:   50    16       33
   80:  150    23       75
   40:  408    33      101
   20:  277    33       95
   15:  433    35      111
   10:  612    33      107
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Always a blast. My best score ever but could have been better. Fell into the
“DXer mode” the second day which is easy to do in this contest with so much
juicy DX on the air. It was fun but I should have run a lot more on Sunday.
I’ll probably go to the Classic category in the future but wanted to give one
more go at the W5 low power record in the “iron man” category. Broke it but
not by much. I missed my goal of 2000 Q’s and 4 meg but can’t complain.

High band conditions here were good but down a little from the SSB weekend and
from earlier in the week. The low bands were very noisy on the first evening
just as they were in the SSB contest. It seems there is something about major
contests that brings local thunderstorms here. However, the second evening
produced some of the best conditions I’ve seen on 80 and 160 in quite a
while. To work 17 Europeans on 160 in one evening with low power from Texas
conditions have to be good. I was also able to work Europeans on 80 at 30 wpm
�&amp;quot; that certainly does not happen very often for me!

Again ended up working 39 zones �&amp;quot; maybe someday I will work all 40
but I
missed zone 22 this time. Worked two 22’S the SSB weekend but never heard one
this time. Also still have not worked at least 100 countries on 4 bands,
falling short on 20 for the second year in a row. Neglected it too much the
first day and couldn’t make it up the second. Would have missed 100 on 40
also but found two new ones in the last ten minutes of the contest.

Although I did not take advantage of it this year, I’m glad to see the
Classic category introduced. I think I would enjoy it much more. Sleep
deprivation and exhaustion make me somewhat of a lid by the second day of these
48 hour marathons. My error rates copying call signs and typing them in go up,
my manual sending goes to hell, and I make stupid mistakes in antenna choices.
At the end I feel like a drunk with a hangover, my feet are swollen and I get
leg cramps at night. I know I don’t have to put in that many hours but my
competitive side takes over. Limiting operating time to 24 hours introduces a
lot more strategy in choosing times and bands to operate. As the classic
category grows in popularity it will be interesting to see how close those
scores are to the full timers. There may be less difference than you would
expect.

Marv N5AW

                               2013 CQ-WW-CW N5AW
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---    ---
      USA calls =     1     1     8     1     8    13     32
   Canada calls =     6    15    24    21    27    25    118
       NA calls =     9    22    24    21    30    24    130
       SA calls =     7    13    20    31    27    52    150
     Euro calls =    17    70   195   139   222   329    972
  African calls =     2     5    15    14    23    16     75
    Asian calls =     1     4    20    19    21    14     79
    Japan calls =     6    16    86    24    56   122    310
    Ocean calls =     1     5    17     8    22    21     74

    Total calls =    50   151   409   278   436   616   1940