[3830] CQWW CW HR2J(N6AA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW HR2J(N6AA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 06:37:50 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: HR2J
Operator(s): N6AA
Station: HR2J

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Honduras
Operating Time (hrs): 41.5

  160:   22     5       10
   80:  418    17       52
   40:  827    23       65
   20: 1150    31       87
   15: 1623    30       87
   10: 1443    28       84
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

K3 + Alpha 76
TH6 at 35 feet, pointed north, never moved (broken rotator)
&amp;quot;Zero-five&amp;quot; (brand) vertical on 40 and 80, no radials
Inverted V at 35 feet on 160
TR4W

Slept 5.75 hours straight the second night (twice what I wanted to) to avoid
fighting to copy through line noise on 40, 80, and 160. 160 was really bad.

Location is on side of mountain with decent shot to Europe, and blocked to
Pacific. Never heard zones 22, 26, 28, 37, or 39. One QSO to zone 32, and 3
long-path QSO's to VK on 20. Missed Honduras on all 6 bands, and even missed
zone 7 on 15.

Didn't have fast band-changing set up, so moved no multipliers.

Packet pile-ups were occasionally so bad that I would just give up and move
frequency. I was not usually louder in the target area than those calling me,
and it wasn't productive to have to come back to callers four times before they
heard me.

I could have signed my callsign after every QSO, and probably 500 fewer
stations would have worked Honduras on some band. Probably signed at least once
a minute. Guess there were fewer than a dozen times when I would hear
&amp;quot;CALL?&amp;quot; ... and usually those just delayed things by covering
a weak
station I was trying to copy.

It's now &amp;quot;interesting&amp;quot; to make 1.25-way (as opposed to 2-way)
QSO's,
where it's obvious that stations can barely tell when I come back to them, but
wouldn't be able to copy my callsign if it wasn't supplied by skimmers. New
world.

Thanks to Javier, HR2J, for the use of the station and providing food, and
thanks to those in the log for the QSO's.

Dick, N6AA