[3830] CQWW CW NN1N SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NN1N SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 07:06:00 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NN1N
Operator(s): NN1N
Station: NN1N

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R

  160:   53    16       38
   80:  354    24       88
   40: 1521    35      111
   20:  775    37      109
   15:  879    33      104
   10: 1561    30      115
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Figured it would take 11.5M to win this year.  Conditions were OK -- not as good
as 2011.

At about 9 AM Saturday my wrists were hurting so bad from what must be carpal
tunnel pain that I almost quit.  I've been doing a lot of painting, typing, and
tedious tasks -- who knows. It hasn't bothered me in many years.  I found a
small heater and set that next to the keyboard and loaded up on ibuprofen and
that seemed to help.  I change chairs and headphones every 6 or 8 hours too.

Random thoughts:

Thank you Europe.

Too many highlights with prop and callers.  But, thanks to N6AA and XE2MX for
the late moves.  Double mults both.  I wish more guys could actually copy CW
for conversational things.  I heard several stations call others and I tried to
catch their attention and move them up or down and it never works any more.
But at least people are on the air.

I worked very hard to get the station as ready as possible.  Still lots broken
or in need of replacement.  Since 2011 when everything worked and was new we
have had one storm after another and I never caught up.  This weekend the wind
blew so hard that I could not turn the 40 or the C31 -- very important
antennas.  And the low 20's rotor let loose and the yagi spent the weekend
banging into the tower pointed at VE7.  As I neared ten million points the
power started flickering.  That would have been the typical occurrence for me:
lose power at the worst time.  At least in 2010 we lost it when it didn't hurt
so bad (earlier in the test) -- I know K1AR suffers from power problems too
:-) But, after a computer reset somehow we made it without a loss.  I now have
a generator, but as with other things around here, it isn't quite ready for
quick deployment.

OK one highlight:  4L5O hearing me on 160.  Nice peak and a good op there.  I
am not too loud on 160  :-)

This is not a rich guy's station -- I have a lot of good helpers.  I am not a
technical guy.  I am amazed when things work after I do something.  I have no
engineers building everything.  Half of my stuff is scrounged and has been
carried around for 20 years.  I just love to operate, I love CW and DXing.

Being a DXer and having a year with my 10 meter stack, I finally realized that
I needed to drop the top antenna out of the stack when the band peaks to
Europe.  I did that both days this time and the average EU signal jumped a
couple of S units with just the bottom two.

Best hour was 233 -- probably a personal best.  Many hours over 190.  Excellent
activity.  The multi single guys have made it simple for non-assisted ops like
myself as I don't have to find them anymore.  They find me/us immediately.  TNX
to 6Y7W, P33W, CN2AA.  Fast and loud and nice mults.

I went looking for KL7RA at the right time on 80.  Found some 6s working
someone and listened close and there was the Alaskan -- good ears there too.
TNX for the call on 40 before it was dark. And I still needed KL7 on 20 at the
end and found RA right where they should be at the bottom of the General band.
Thanks to Gator working via VY1EI I had Zone 1 -- heh heh.  But, the bonus for
finding KL7RA was that I kept tuning down from them and found 9M8DX with no
callers (guess he wasn't spotted yet) at 2356Z.

The expedition ops were really top notch.  Thank you all for giving us all
these great mults.  There were a lot of great operations going.