[3830] CQWW CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 07:06:00 +0000

Comments:

Rig:  Elecraft K-2 set at 5 Watts

Antennas:

10-15-20  3 el SteppIR up 32 feet
40  DX-LB trap dipole up 32 feet
40-80  Butternut HF-2V vertical
160  Inverted L
----------------------------------

Conditions in this contest were excellent. Only thing I missed was overnight
openings on 20 M.  20 M was totally dead all night from here.

When I retired, I expected to be able to operate all contests I wanted to for
full time.  Not so.  There always seem to be local emergencies which no one can
deal with except us.  Hence I lost the first two hours of the contest as well
as
several hours on Saturday.

And I also took several hours to chase the S21 DX-pedition which I managed to
finally work for an all time new one. That path is very tough for my QRP
station.  After a terrific struggle by the ops there, they finally got my call
on 15 SSB and RTTY and it was great to see my call in their on-line log.

I thought about entering the CLASSIC overlay, but even though N1MM told me I
had operated 23.5 hours. However, when you count &amp;quot;off times&amp;quot;
as 1
hour instead of 30 minutes I got an op time of about 27 hours, and I did not
want the last three hours of contest removed.

My best achievement was to work 100 countries in this contest. I have never
done that in 23 years of QRP contesting. I added them up and was amazed to see
102. After removing the Sicily and European Shetlands, it added up to exactly
100. The 99th and 100th country were 3DA0ET and HR2J worked on 20 M at 10 and 5
minutes before the end of the contest. My WAZ was 31.

34% o my Qs were in Europe. I have had some contests at the bottom of the cycle
where I did not have a single European Q. ....Good times!!  Also 89 JA Qs
(18.9%). It is great to see Japan with this level of participation!

Band breakdown:

160 M:  I heard 6 or 8 JAs when I tuned.  I haven't heard that many on 160 in
my life! But QRP just doesn't do it and I only worked a local and an XE.

80 M: I did get a JA, 2 KH6s and 2 UA0s.

40 M: I rarely get into Europe on 40, but I managed 6 European Qs over both
nights.  I also worked 24 JAs.  Too bad they all count as one country!

20 M: I spent so much time on 10 and 15 that I actually had less Qs on 20 than
on 40! Best Q was 3DA0ET worked in the last 10 minutes of the contest. He was
calling blank CQs.

15 M: Lots of stuff in those 80 countries. The best was probably XV2RZ for a
zone I rarely work in contests.

10 M:  Good openings to Europe both days from out here on the west coast.

Looks like I won't even make the top 10 USA, but it was still fantastic fun!!

73,  Bill  W8QZA / W6QU