[3830] CQWW CW GZ3F(GM4AFF) SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW GZ3F(GM4AFF) SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 14:12:42 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GZ3F
Operator(s): GM4AFF
Station: GZ3F

Class: SOAB Classic HP
QTH: Shetland
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:   94     9       40
   80:  359    14       50
   40:  567    20       69
   20:  767    22       78
   15:  717    22       79
   10:  579    26       71
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

As I was so knackered after putting up the aerials on Thursday and Friday, I
just took it easy and had a fun weekend. I was blessed with unusually wonderful
weather, apart from the horrendous ferry trip north last Wednesday. Single op,
with a 40ft mast, rotator, C3S, HF2V, and 160m dipole is hard work, and I slept
through my alarm clock on Sunday morning after what was planned as a short
sleep! K3, Eto 91b and Wintest performed faultlessly, but RF got into my new
USB to serial adapter which took a while to fix. Nearly a whole week without
mobile phone or internet was quite relaxing. I saw an otter washing itself in
the loch outside the back of the house - a rare sight even in Shetland.
Conditions were obviously very good, but as usual from Shetland this is all
relative, and bands tended to close fairly early, while I could still hear weak
UK stations working stuff I couldn't hear. Some tremendous echoes coming back
on
my own transmissions on 10 and even 15m at times, and I found that I could run
the US easier by beaming north, as the distortion on signals on 15 and 20m when
I beamed west made copying impossible, especially on Saturday.
I have to say that the pile-up discipline on 160m on Sunday night was awful. I
gave up trying to work the pile and just searched/pounced. Not a big deal for
me as I wasn't serious about trying to win, but some who were lost a mult and
need to think about how they operate.