[3830] CQWW CW HD2T(VE3DZ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW HD2T(VE3DZ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 05:59:32 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: HD2T
Operator(s): VE3DZ
Station: HC2AQ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Guayaqil
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:   48     6       12
   80:  501    23       59
   40: 1298    32       85
   20: 1104    34       91
   15: 1872    33      100
   10: 2119    35      113
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Thanks to Alberto, HC2AQ and his wife Sonia for hosting me at their "finca
de Guadelope".
Rig: K3 + TL922.
Antennas: 10-15-20 m: 5/4/5 el. monoband Yagis,
40-80 m : dipoles
160 m: Inv. L.

Since PZ location was unavailable this year, my chances to find another good
3-point location on such short notice were pretty limited. Being a bit far from
Europe and United States, HC2 though was probably my best option, however I
realized tht my chances to show a good score were pretty slim.
Also, having some health issues prior to the trip did not raise my not-so high
motivation... I was about to cancel my trip just 4 days before departure, but
in the end decided to go anyway.
When I came there on Tuesday before the Contest, I realized that Low Band
antennas either not working (160 and 40) or non-existent (80 m). Big
"thank you" to Alex, HC2AO for his help with Low Band antennas. We
ended up putting up simple dipoles for 40 and 80 and fixing existing Inverted L
for Topband. When we finally finished on Thursday evening, I made 96 QSO's in 54
minutes on 160, and good half of them were Europeans. I was very impressed and
hoped for a very good 160 m score, but that was not the case during the
Contest. Either conditions were much worse or I wasn't there at the right time
(or both) but I could barely work 12 countries - my worst 160 m ourtcome ever.
80 m too was "so-so", however, I could work quite a few Europens
there with morning JA pile-ups, considering there was no any kind of receiving
antennas.
40 was better and exceeded my expectations (considering simple antenna),
however I couldn't get rid of the feeling that most of the stations I worked
sounded like there were "very far", with a lot of flutters on the
signals which sometimes would turn a pile-up into a real pain.
On the contrary, 10 and 15 were pretty hot. EU started to come long before
local sunrise and it's been a while since I've been able to work so many
Japanese in the afternoon and evening hours. The only thing that spoiled my fun
on 10 and 15 was very noticable power line noise coming from about 320 degrees.
20 m was VERY different from what I experienced before from other locations.
Usually it's a "money band", but even during weekdays the band was
practically empty, with weak traces of the signals from the U.S.
The activity though was higher in the Contest, but I could never create a
pile-up even close to what I had on 10 and 15... And again, most signals were
fluttery and sounded like being "from far away".
Anyway, that was some new experience for me and a lot of fan.
Thanks to all who called and moved for me.
Happy Thanksgiving to our U.S. colleagues and a great weekend to everybody
else!

73 Yuri  VE3DZ / HC2TDZ