[3830] ARRL 160 N8XX Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N8XX Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 23:41:01 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 6

Total:  QSOs = 132  Sections = 35  Countries = 0  Total Score = 9,240

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Interesting comments - never got my antenna for 160 set up, so used my cloud
warmer.  5 watts to a cloud warmer doesn't hack it very well.

Original goal was to get to 50 Q's, but that happened so rapidly I kept
plugging away.  Friday night/Saturday morning was a real drag after I found out
that "running" was very unproductive.  Zero contacts on 10 minute runs
on open frequencies (at least I couldn't hear anyone atall).  Worked most of the
stations who could hear me. 82 Q's by 0600Z and 4 hours

Saturday evening/Sunday morning was better, cranked out 100 Q's, and kept on
plugging because I'm >99.44% sure that a few stations didn't bother to tell
me they didn't get my report, but just started calling CQ again.  Conditions
were amazing - must have worked some QRP ops, or some with really good ears -
got through to a VY2 who was a bit weak, and a station in Maine who was barely
above the noise level.  A bit later I worked a fellow XX station (W1XX) was was
running from Rhode Island, of a new multiplier!

Maybe I'll get a vertical of some sort up for the next 160 contest - Stew
Perry?

Thanks to everyone who dug down into the noise and dragged my signal out.