[3830] ARRL 160 VE3MGY M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VE3MGY M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:24:12 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: M/S LP
QTH: ONS
Operating Time (hrs): 15.5

Total:  QSOs = 735  Sections = 67  Countries = 11  Total Score = 117,936

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I was looking for a 1,000 QSO’S this year after just missing it a couple of
times in earlier versions of the ARRL 160 but I just couldn’t put in a full
time effort. I started getting sick on Wednesday and took everything legal I
could get my hands on to be healthy by Friday. But by Friday evening my
sinus’s were clogged and I was coughing and sneezing up a storm. I decided to
suck it up and compete anyway thinking that it wouldn’t really matter if I was
under the weather and I would just have to push myself harder and things would
balance out. Yeah right. Not to be.

I tried to suppress my coughing and sneezing to the lulls between calls or
exchanges but that did not work out and I needed a lot of repeats as I
couldn’t copy CW during a sneeze or a cough. In fact my ears plugged up both
nights so I countered this by cranking the volume which ended up giving me big
migraines both nights hi hi.

Decided to get some sleep both nights so I didn’t end up getting worse which
led to me over sleeping both mornings - probably due to the cough medicine I
took before bed.

Found prop to be down on Friday but really good Saturday evening ( just before
the Kp went to 6 that is ) and I had my best rates of the contest Saturday
evening. I also used packet Saturday evening as I ended up just DXing near the
end of the contest but even though I only used a couple of spots on the cluster
it still put me in the Multi category.

Oh well it's still one of my favorites and I should be healthy for the Big Stew
coming up AND I will also have a brand new K3 to play with!

Thanks for all the QSO’s. It’s always nice to say hi to all my old TB
friends who dropped by over the weekend. I will look for everyone in the Big
Stew.

73
Brian
VE3MGY