[3830] ARRL 160 AA4LR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 AA4LR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:07:35 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 18.4
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 604  Sections = 66  Countries = 5  Total Score = 86,833

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
160/80/40m trap inverted L up 10m with 24 radials.
80/40m trap dipole @ 10m (receive only)

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 w/ KAT3
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100

Comments:

I really pushed for a full-time effort in this contest, and this is the highest
number of operating hours I've ever recorded. Conditions were not as good as in
my personal best 2010 score. But, in any case, a lot of Qs made and a lot of
fun was had.

I've checked the SO2R box, but the K2 only did duty populating the band-map so
I could work stations on the K3 later. This probably accounts for only 3-4
QSOs, so it didn't make a material difference in the score. The 80/40m dipole
was not an effective receiving antenna.

Started the contest right at 2200z about 25 minutes before sunset. Band was
already active. About an hour into the contest, my laptop alerted me that the
battery was at 6% and would soon shut down. Huh? For some reason, even though
the charger was plugged in, it was not charging. A mad scramble on my tiny desk
and the laptop is charging about six minutes later. Whew! A non-functioning
computer would have ruined my contest effort.

As always in this contest, delightful rates are possible with very modest
equipment.  I tried to balance the time running and S & P, favoring running
whenever the rate was above 40-50 / hour.

Took 35 minutes off to eat around 0000z, and then stayed with it until 0800z.
Did not get a good opening to the west this night. Other than working five
stations in AZ, I couldn't get any west coast stations to hear me. By 0800z,
rate had decayed to about 15 / hour. I thought it best to get a couple of hours
sleep.

Best moment this first night is when KH6/KU1CW called ME around 0400z -- just
about the time the terminator crosses the islands. I also heard T32RC plain as
day around 0720z -- again the terminator was nearby. Unfortunately, he could
not hear me.

Back on in the morning at 1030z, but not hearing much of any opening out to the
west. Lots of more local Qs to put in the log, and I wrapped it up at 1255z --
about 25 minutes after sunrise.

First night yielded 436 Q and 61 mults - considerably off the pace for my 2010
effort.

Saturday was still a busy day, and even though I got a couple of naps, I was
tired when I started back just after 2200z. Conditions were a little better,
but it was harder to find people I had not worked. CQing brought marginal
rate.

By 0400z, I was exhausted, and had a busy Sunday planned, so I decided to turn
in early. Back on at 1155z for about 35 minutes and I was done.

Worked a little DX: C6AKQ was a permanent fixture. ZF, XE, VP5, FM. Heard F,
OM, S5 and a few other europeans. These guys just couldn't hear my 100 watts.

Heard but missed a number of mults: ND, SB, SDG, SV, AK - KL7RA, SK - VE5UF,
WWA. Thought I never was going to work a RI station. I find W1OP perhaps a
dozen times, but he never heard me. A couple of times I got "AA" out
of him, but nothing else. He wasn't hearing much of anyone else, either, since
he kept CQing in our faces.

On the whole, I'm pleased with this effort. The Inverted-L did pretty well,
although it could probably use another 16-20 radials. I have K9AY loops that I
re-doing the controller for, but they weren't ready for this contest.

See you on 10m, but don't expect a full-time effort!