[3830] ARRL 160 ON7EH Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, on7eh@skynet.be
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 ON7EH Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:23:00 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: ON7EH
Operator(s): ON7EH
Station: ON7EH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Machelen
Operating Time (hrs): 4:58

Total:  QSOs = 30  Sections = 17  Countries = 2  Total Score = 1,020

Club: NBT Noord-Brabant Grimbergen

Comments:

First participation in a 160m contest

With the early winter darkness, we were still laying out the radiator and some
extra radials on a cold friday evening...

Despite the small amount of QSOs, we enjoyed every minute of our S&P-ing.

East coast US and Canada were well heard late at night but more easily worked
near sunrise.
We worked two stations in OH, which represent our longest distance during the
contest.

Station: K3/100 + remotely fed CG-3000 + 25 (5m to 11m long radials) + 2 full
quarterwaves in the QTF of North America (laid out left and right from the
house)

Prior to every response to a CQ, we had to "TUNE" on the K3 to have
the CG3000 adapted to a low VSWR.

Antenna: obstructed quarterwave inv L with a top vertical height of 12m, for a
grand total of 41.5m of pvc-coated wire. (the last horizontal part of 13m, just
4m above ground)

Notes:
-Apparently, the freq bandwidth of this inv L config was very narrow and/or the
antenna Z not to be liked by the CG-3000. (Advise is welcomed!)

-Funny to see, a signal some dB above the noise floor to come back on my first
or second call whereas a station as loud as S3 to keep on calling CQ, CQ,
CQ...

Thanks to all for picking up my call and "suffix dits" out of the
noise...

73,

Michel (Mike), ON7EH