[3830] ARRL 10 YN5Z(K7ZO) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 YN5Z(K7ZO) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:56:21 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: YN5Z
Operator(s): K7ZO
Station: YN5Z

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: San Juan del Sur
Operating Time (hrs): 29

   CW:
  SSB: 3206   139
-------------------
Total: 3206   139  Total Score = 891,268

Club:

Comments:

Another successful Field Day operation as YN5Z is in the books. I will dispense
with the station description as you can find that in my past 3830 postings and
well as on the YN5Z QRZ.COM page. (By the way is was fascinating that during
the contest my YN5Z page took almost 3,000 hits, about one for every QSO I
made.)

When I committed to operate the 10 Meter from YN it was in early October,
before CQWW SSB. I had to plan ahead to reserve the house, get plane tickets,
etc. Since I was also making the trip for CQWW SSB I was in a, Do I really
want
to do this?, mood. After all, at the time, 10 meters had been nothing really
special during September and October up to that time. I hated the thought of
coming down here and spending the weekend grinding out a couple hundred QSOs.
But, I rationalized the trip with the reality that this year was the best
chance of conditions being good in a long long time and it was going to be all
downhill for the next 7 to 8 years. Then after the amazing 10 meter conditions
in CQWW SSB I had hope that conditions would hold for the 10 meter contest as
well. After returning home from CQWW SSB I closely monitored the SWPC
forecasts
for the 10 meter contest period. They were pretty steady in predicting flux in
the 160 range which lead to increasingly excited anticipation . Of course then
the Monday forecast on December 2nd dropped the forecast to 130 which was a
bit
deflating but I could at least look forward to something a bit better than
last
year. In 2012 I made around 1,700 QSOs however with only 4 Europe contacts and
no Japan. Then the forecast on Monday the 9th raised the forecast back up to
160+ but with an elevated A index. Rats!

Since I was only putting up the Spiderbeam for this contest I arrived a little
later than I usually do since I knew I could get the whole station ready to go
in one day, which was the day before the contest. This only let me check out
the bands for the 24 hours leading up to the start of the contest at 6PM local
time on Friday. The good news was that 10 meters seemed in great shape with
both Europe and Japan roaring in as hoped for and with no apparent impact of
any disturbed conditions. So, with that I sat down at the radio about 30
minutes before the contest to grab a frequency and see what was going on.
Plenty of Japan was coming in but they faded out as the contest start
approached which is about 45 minutes after sunset. However VK and ZL were out
in force so I turned the antenna down that way and that is how I started. By
the time the band shut for good at 3:30 UTC through a combination of small
runs
and S&amp;P I managed to have 101 QSOs in the log. They were about equally
split
between VK and ZL and then South America with virtually all QSOs happening on
paths to the south. Given that I did not really expect much from this time and
I only had 34 QSOs the first night last year I felt this was a very positive
indicator for the whole weekend.

One reason I like the 10 Meter contest is that you get to sleep at night,
which
I did. For the fun of it I did get up at 4:30 AM local time, 90 minutes before
sunrise, to see if I could catch any of the Geminid meteor shower which was
peaking about then. I saw a few around the clouds passing by then when in and
made a pot of coffee. I had only a general idea what to expect from the band
opening this year. Last year I didn't make any QSOs until almost 2 hours after
sunrise. I knew this year would be better but I was not sure by how much. So,
finally wandered over and sat down at the radio about 5:30 AM, 30 minutes
before
sunrise. What do you know there were already signals coming in. Right away I
could hear CE1DY and 3G1B from the south where I left the beam pointing. Then
right at sunrise I heard a weak GJ2A work PT7ZT for the first European of the
contest. I kept tuning and found D4C calling CQ and worked him 5 minutes after
sunrise for my first QSO. It was also the only time I heard them all weekend
so
I am glad I worked them when I did. As I tuned up from them ED3C and 9A5Y were
easily heard off the side of the beam and a few minutes later IO5O was moving
the S meter up into the 59 + 20 range. So, outside I went to turn the beam to
Europe and get to work. This was at 12:20 UTC, only 20 minutes after sunrise.
What a great improvement over 2012 and suddenly all my fears for the contest
went away. Nothing like some great rate to make all the effort and expense of
trip worthwhile. It took me about 5 minutes to settle in at 28342 and that is
where I stayed for almost 3 ½ hours working well over 500 QSOs during that
time. These rates were good though not the highest of the contest. I learned
in
CQWW SSB that it is just not possible to run Europe at the same rate as North
America from here. Signal strengths are lower because of the distance, pileups
are a bit harder to manage, etc. But the multipliers are great.!

It was also during this period that I had one of those magical contest QSOs. I
have found that during any 10 Meter contest, or really any contest for that
matter, that there are always a few QSOs that just leave you wondering, How
did
that happen? While on 28342 with the beam pointed to Europe suddenly a loud
and
clear YB8HI calls in. I triple checked his call. Yep �&quot; that is exactly
who it was. How did that happen? It is interesting that W6ELprop shows a
morning 10 Meter opening from YN to YB short path. Some day I need to look
into
this some more �&quot; was he coming in off the back and side of the beam as
well? Amazing.

After leaving 28342 I bounced around for 15 minutes and ended way up at 28773
around 16:10 UTC. By this time Europe was starting to fade out with only the
G's, EI, CT, and EA coming in with any numbers. I ended up staying on 28773
for
2 hours making about 320 QSOs when I finally decided I was too high up and I
was
just not getting the rate I could and should. I then moved down to 28665 at
18:20 UTC and hit the mother lode! I also had turned the beam to that magic
direction for North America, which just happened to be due north here. For me,
something like 65% of the US and Canada population is in a bearing plus or
minus 20 degrees from due north �&quot; which suits the 4 elements on the
Spiderbeam just fine. The next two hours were the best rates of the contest,
well over 200 an hour as the loud clear signals from the well behaved pileups
rained down on me. Also, by now the path from North America to Europe was
closed so everyone was looking for someone to work and when they pointed their
beams south they found me! I did find that rates in this contest were not and
or could not be quite as high as in CQWW. The exchange itself, on the margin
slows things down. By this time I was well over 1000 QSOs and it simply takes
longer to say “59 1019” than “59 7”. Also, being a gentle-person’s
contest where politeness rules most US operators were kind enough to say
“Please copy my 59” in front of their state. This also is much longer than
“59 5”. So, when you are trying to get to 300 QSOs per hour all these
seconds add up quickly. I have been scratching my head though to figure out if
this whole “Please copy my 59” preamble impacts the eventual number of
QSOs. I always seemed to be able to get a pileup worked down in a couple of
minutes as they go from Packetcluster burst to Packetcluster burst. Certainly
the time would be less without everyone being so polite. And, there may be a
few people in the pileup who leave because it is taking too long to get to
them. But, some of these folks likely come back later, so there may not be too
many truly lost QSOs. By the end of the contest rates were getting pretty
slow.
I had worked well over 2,200 US and Canada stations and there were just not
that
many left. So, would I prefer everyone to be less polite and just say “QSL
you're 59 Ohio” or whatever and get on with it �&quot; you bet. Do I think
all this “Please copy my 59” preamble impacts my score? Probably not much.

I ended up staying on 28665 for about 5 hours until just after our local
sunset
at 23:15. In that time I worked just short of 1,000 QSOs during that time
�&quot; the strongest sustained rates of the contest. During that time the
band was open literally coast to coast across the US and Canada. Last year
propagation was more like a 6 Meter contest with little spotlights of
propagation jumping back and forth across the country. Also participation was
fantastic this year and once again demonstrates the nature of the 10 Meter
contest in that good conditions bring out more operators which generate more
excitement, which brings out more operators, etc. The whole thing builds on
itself.

As the afternoon moved on things progressed as planned. The first JA called in
at 21:50 right at their sunrise and was the final proof that this was a great
year to operate the 10 Meter contest from YN after getting not a single JA
contact last year. I ended up working just over 100 JA's in the contest but
their presence seemed less than in CQWW SSB when I had screaming hordes
calling
me. It could be that the more complex serial number exchange just reduces the
number of JA's that feel comfortable operating. That makes total sense to me.

As the sun set and propagation to the north disappeared I once again turned
the
beam down to VK and ZL. However unlike the first night when the band was full
of
signals it was distinctly quiet with just a couple of the loudest VKs coming
in
and nothing else. I am not sure if this was propagation driven or activity
driven but there was just no one to work and calling CQ didn't generate any
QSOs. I then turned the beam all the way around to South America but pretty
much the same thing was going on. I could hear the PY stations but the LU and
CE stations were strangely missing. As I result I only made 13 QSOs after
00:00
UTC whereas the first night it was over 100. I was not sure if I should be
worried about this or happy. If there really was some sort of propagation
issue
from LU and CE to the north that would impact the competitors down there way
more that it impacts me. And, that would be good. On the other hand if it
meant
the forecasted disturbed conditions settled in that would be bad for me.

I went to bed that night with just over 2,000 QSOs in the log which I thought
was pretty good since I only worked 1,700 in all of last year.

After another good nights sleep I was up in front of the radio 30 minute
before
sunrise. The morning opeing was pretty much a repeat of Saturday. With the
beam
still pointed to South America OK7K was already coming in at 59 +10 five
minutes after sunrise. So I turned the beam to Europe and repeated the
Saturday
process all over again. I did spend some extra time tracking down multipliers
as
this is usually my biggest issue in my contests here. I do well on rate and
QSOs
but poor on multipliers. It is a common condition for single op contest
operations from out of the way locations �&quot; you get so enamoured with
rate you forget to work for the multipliers. The effort was rewarded with
MU0GSY at 12:13 and later ES5RW at 14:42 but those were the only two I was
able
to hunt down. During my runs I did have a GI and SV9 call in but the day was
unfortunately rather thin on multipliers. I had wanted to check for any Africa
mults but with my setup here it just becomes one thing to many. To rotate the
beam that way off of Europe or North America I have to leave the radio, go out
into the yard, loosen the tie down ropes on the beam, rotate the beam,
relocate
the tie down ropes, and then hustle back into the radio. Having done this now
many many times I can do it in about 4 minutes. However, I am also guaranteed
to lose my run frequency when doing this so it is an important decision on
when
to move the beam. I decided to not spend the time and effort trying to track
down Africa mults. Time will tell if this was a good decision or not.

On Sunday propagation seemed to be an almost exact repeat of Saturday. Europe
was strong with the path staying open until about 16:30 or so. Because there
are so many contestors and stations in Europe there were plenty of loud ones
left to give me a call. However when that path died and my attention went back
to US and Canada it was clear I had already worked through the first tier of
stations on Saturday. To maximize my contacts I made a special effort to
squeeze into frequencies below 28500. Even with that there were just not as
many folks and those that called were not as strong. Luckily the local here
noise was pretty low, just barely moving the S meter vs S2-3 last year, and I
was able to hear and work the 100W and an attic dipole stations. I also made a
special effort to help folks with the exchange who clearly were not contesting
but DX-ing, thanked them for the contact, etc. In another repeat of Saturday
propagation the first JA called in right at 22:00.

As the end of the contest approached I started setting milestones for myself
keep the interest and motivation. As some point a few hours before the end
based
on comments from stations I was working, I thought I might actually have a
chance to win this thing. I also had in mind the seeming missing propagation
from LU and CE on Saturday night which might impact competition. However,
about
two hours from the end I heard ZW5B running and giving out numbers a couple
hundred higher than me. Suspecting he was also operating SO HP SSB and knowing
he certainly had more mults than I, my dreams of a first place finished were
dashed. (Now that I see postings I see I really did not have to worry about
ZW5B though the perennial powerhouse LP1H was powering past me and how about
that D4C score -- was he actually in the same contest! What an amazing
accomplishment.] But, I first set the goal of 3,000 QSOs. Then 3,100 QSOs. And
finally 3,200 QSOs which I ground my way through. Then I thought about getting
to 900,000 points. But with about 30 minutes to go I realized at the QSO rate
was not going to get there unless I tracked down one last mult. So, I gave up
the run and tuned around looking for one with no success. So, that is where
things ended.

All in all a great contest and I am certainly glad to have made the trip here
for it. Compared to 2012 my QSOs were up 86%, mults up 45% for a 171% increase
in score. Though these conditions are not likely to be repeated for many years
to come and I will miss them, I can be a happy ham knowing I operated this
contest.

Thanks everyone for the QSOs. See my QRZ.COM page for QSL information.

Scott/YN5Z (K7ZO)

Cabrillo Statistics (Version 10g) by K5KA &amp; N6TV
http://bit.ly/cabstat

CALLSIGN: YN5Z
CATEGORY-OPERATOR: SINGLE-OP
CATEGORY-TRANSMITTER: ONE
CONTEST: ARRL-10
OPERATORS: K7ZO

-------------- Q S O R a t e S u m m a r y ---------------------
Hour 160 80 40 20 15 10 Rate Total Pct
0000 0 0 0 0 0 35 35 35 1.1
0100 0 0 0 0 0 41 41 76 2.4
0200 0 0 0 0 0 10 10 86 2.7
0300 0 0 0 0 0 12 12 98 3.1
0400 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 98 3.1
0500 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 98 3.1
0600 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 98 3.1
0700 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 98 3.1
0800 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 98 3.1
0900 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 98 3.1
1000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 98 3.1
1100 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 99 3.1
1200 0 0 0 0 0 84 84 183 5.7
1300 0 0 0 0 0 168 168 351 10.9
1400 0 0 0 0 0 164 164 515 16.1
1500 0 0 0 0 0 153 153 668 20.8
1600 0 0 0 0 0 120 120 788 24.6
1700 0 0 0 0 0 173 173 961 30.0
1800 0 0 0 0 0 175 175 1136 35.4
1900 0 0 0 0 0 224 224 1360 42.4
2000 0 0 0 0 0 204 204 1564 48.8
2100 0 0 0 0 0 166 166 1730 54.0
2200 0 0 0 0 0 175 175 1905 59.4
2300 0 0 0 0 0 84 84 1989 62.0
0000 0 0 0 0 0 11 11 2000 62.4
0100 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 2002 62.4
0200 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2002 62.4
0300 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2002 62.4
0400 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2002 62.4
0500 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2002 62.4
0600 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2002 62.4
0700 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2002 62.4
0800 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2002 62.4
0900 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2002 62.4
1000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2002 62.4
1100 0 0 0 0 0 3 3 2005 62.5
1200 0 0 0 0 0 92 92 2097 65.4
1300 0 0 0 0 0 94 94 2191 68.3
1400 0 0 0 0 0 64 64 2255 70.3
1500 0 0 0 0 0 101 101 2356 73.5
1600 0 0 0 0 0 140 140 2496 77.9
1700 0 0 0 0 0 147 147 2643 82.4
1800 0 0 0 0 0 100 100 2743 85.6
1900 0 0 0 0 0 160 160 2903 90.5
2000 0 0 0 0 0 100 100 3003 93.7
2100 0 0 0 0 0 51 51 3054 95.3
2200 0 0 0 0 0 99 99 3153 98.3
2300 0 0 0 0 0 53 53 3206 100.0
Total 0 0 0 0 0 3206 3206

Gross QSOs=3269 Dupes=63 Net QSOs=3206

Unique callsigns worked = 3206

The best 60 minute rate was 236/hour from 1826 to 1925
The best 30 minute rate was 246/hour from 1854 to 1923
The best 10 minute rate was 270/hour from 1855 to 1904

The best 1 minute rates were:
6 QSOs/minute 8 times.
5 QSOs/minute 60 times.
4 QSOs/minute 190 times.