[3830] OK RTTY AB1J SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] OK RTTY AB1J SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 19:32:32 +0000
                    OK DX RTTY Contest

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Waltham MA FN42
Operating Time (hrs): 8

   80:
   40:   8    30      4         1
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:   8    30      4         1  Total Score = 150

Club:

Comments:

If you're wondering how I spent 8 hours in the contest and made only 8 QSOs,
well I was mostly just testing my recently installed RCKskimmer and comparing
it to WZ7I which is where I get all my skimmed RTTY spots.  Wes is located in
Pipersville, PA, just north of Philadelphia, which is 243 miles (392 km)
southwest from me in Waltham, MA.  He uses a vertical antenna and sometimes a
beam.  I used my usual 30-10m fanned attic dipoles and a very low 40m end fed
half-wave stealth antenna in my back yard.  Wes spots 2-3x more stations than I
do, which I assume is mostly due to his better antenna and superior receiving
setup (see wz7i.com).

People who want to be picked by skimmers up should read Wes's suggestions on
qrz.com.

All my skimming was on 40m and 15m, about 4 hours Friday evening local time and
4 hours Saturday morning.

I didn't post anything to the clusters because the old TS940S I use for
skimming is slightly off in frequency and needs to be recalibrated.

I don't know if I can use my own skimmer for my own contesting.  I have a small
property with little room for antennas, let alone an extra one for skimming.  I
have the same problem of interference a multi-two or SO2R station would have if
all the operation was in a 40'x40' area with a stealth requirement.  Running low
power helps, but still...  My own transmissions muck up the RCKscanner receiver.
 The point of having my own scanner is to populate my band map with stations I
can actually hear, but I don't know if I'll be able to successfully do that.

FT-2K/N1MM/MMVARI/MMTTY/2Tone/WIN8
TS940S/RCKskimmer/XT

73,
Ken, AB1J