[3830] RAC Winter VE7JH(@VE7UF) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE7JH(@VE7UF) SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 03:53:49 +0000
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE7JH
Operator(s): VE7JH
Station: VE7UF

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: British Columbia
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:   121             7
   80:   194            12
   40:   254            12
   20:   475            10
   15:   210            10
   10:   129             9
    6:     1             1
    2:     1             1
Total:  1385    0       62         0  Total Score = 368,900

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, what great fun between Christmas and New Year!
Just like in 2012 I guest operated VE7UF's skookum contest station, and just
like last year the goal was to set a new SOCW HP record.
I was hoping that the higher SFI (I believe it was under 100 last year vs. the
130 or so in 2013) would help 15m and 10m and it sure did.

Without giving away my secrets, my modus operandi was to try to put more 10
point VE's in the log vs. the 2 point DX contacts. At times it was hard to walk
away from a nice JA opening or the loud Europeans on 20m in the morning, but I
had to aim where the high value stations were. This cut into my production just
a bit, hard to believe but I had exactly one fewer QSO's this year than in 2012
(1385 vs. 1386), but I had a couple of hundred more QSO points.

That alone would've sufficed if I had just managed the same multiplier total as
in 2012, but it sure turned out to be a lot better. VY1RAC and VE8RAC showed up
on 40m CW and I was able to move both to 80m as well giving four
"unusual" mults.
The high bands played well and I was able to get AB, BC, MB, NS, ON, QC and SK
on all 6 bands. MB and NL were missed only on 160, and got PE on four bands
(thanks VY2LI and VY2RAC), plus I have VE7DAY to thank for BC on 6m and 2m.
I actually had to make "real" VHF contacts now as the new (2013)rules
now prohibit a guest operator working the station owner for credit.

Some of the mults I just got plain lucky on, but I also moved (or tried
to)several stations to other bands.

My apologies to those that asked for an SSB contact, most of the antennas do
not work on the higher portion of the bands and it would just have been too
much hassle.
I logged 57 BC contacts (with 25 different stations) I'm sure there were a few
on SSB as well.

Some stats:
20 points:  26

ON: 152, BC: 57, QC: 43, SK: 28, AB: 25, NS: 21, NB: 12, NL: 10, MB: 9, PE: 4,
YT: 2, NT: 2.

813 US contacts, followed by 34 JA, 19 DL, 18 G, and 11 from F, I and HA.
(Okay, HA being the "old country" I did some advertising there.)

Thanks to Duane, VE7UF for always improving and keeping the station in tip-top
shape. It's nice to now that the DX station will come back on the first
call...

Thanks to the Saskatchewan boys that keep the RAC contests going, and thanks to
all who called. I hope I did not pester to many with my QSY requests.

73 and HNY!
Gabor, VE7JH