[3830] TBDC CE1/K7CA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7ca@infowest.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC CE1/K7CA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:09:00 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: CE1/K7CA
Operator(s): CE1/K7CA
Station: CE1/K7CA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Huasco
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 275  Total Score = 4,484

Club:

Comments:

Always a fun contest but this year was a bit of a grind.  Conditions seemed
about 10dB down from last year. Not so much summer QRN but just low signal
levels. Maybe there were a lot of low power and QRP stations. It seemed like
there were always several callers that I just couldn't copy and as much as I
didn't like it (and I'm sure they felt the same way) I had to CQ on top of
their calls until one would pop out of the noise for a few seconds. Sometimes I
would get a complete call and never hear them again and didn't get the grid. A
few times I would hear that station later and get the grid. Special thanks to
all the stations that stuck with it.
  In the past I could usually work stations for up to an hour past
sunrise(6:50AM local) but this time when the sun came up, the propagation
disappeared. No Ja stations were heard which is quite unusual, and the longest
DX was OH2BO at 27 points. Only 3 European stations worked.
  I usually get good diversity using my 500' beverage and a BS/EF vertical
array, but this time the beverage didn't seem to help much. Have you ever had a
night that you thought the beverage was broke, but really it was just
propagation? Well that was my bev last night. At least it's nice and sunny here
on the beach with all the cold and snow left back in Utah. Hope to see you all
in the CQ160 next month.  73, Al CE1/K7CA
Rig:
K3
Ten-Tec Titan amp 1200w
44' top loaded vertical w/45 1/4 wave radials
500' beverage to west coast USA and JA
BS/EF vertical RX array to east coast and Europe