[3830] TBDC N9ADG Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brianmo@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N9ADG Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:30:10 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N9ADG
Operator(s): N9ADG
Station: N9ADG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CN97
Operating Time (hrs): 10:30

Total:  QSOs = 304  Total Score = 1,623

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Thank you Boring ARC for a great contest. Started 15 minutes late as I
mis-remembered the start time (Doh!). I put up a new (temporary) beverage at
around 240 degrees the night before the SP, even with that I missed what I
suspect was a good one when a station ending in ???IO called me just before
sunrise. Sorry, I just couldn't get the call before it just wasn't there
anymore.

Identified a few new noise sources during the contest: shack heater's
thermostat is an effective band blanker, a power supply in a computer seems to
be going bad, the electric car charger in the garage beneath the shack... even
with those dealt with,  had (and continue to have) intermittent noise,
sometimes up to S4 on seemingly all antennas. This noise may be a pulse, or can
persist for hours. Day or night. It sounds like something arcing -- I suspect
there's a light filament or ??? going bad somewhere. Sorry if I couldn't copy
you because of this.

Seems like the best DX conditions to Asia were at the beginning of the contest
-- only heard two stations on Sunday AM local (RA0FF, JH4UYB), both of which
were worked on Saturday AM. Enjoyed hearing more KH6 stations than before, glad
that antenna is working. Am going to walk the beverage in the JA direction, as
that antenna didn't produce much.

DX from here included XE, JA, KP2, KL, KH6, BY, UA9, HD, FM, CE; I didn't hear
EU, though worked a couple the week leading up to the contest, and heard HD2
working them in the contest.

Did you work W7QN in the contest? Did you know Joe uses a Hustler mobile whip
antenna from the balcony of his retirement living apartment in Seattle? It
makes me smile every time I put Joe in the log.

Best DX in the New Year!