[3830] TBDC KT8K Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC KT8K Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 23:51:45 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82cg
Operating Time (hrs): 3:57

Total:  QSOs = 87  Total Score = 471

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

As a first timer I found I fit in pretty readily - Too little available time,
though, and no DX for me (though I _heard_ some!) ... but I'll do better next
year.

My only 160m antenna besides the underperforming receive-only K9AY loop, the
big (>500 foot) horizontal loop, sinks lower every year ... It's more and
more a sky- and worm-warmer and I'm thinking my 5 Watts would be better heard
from a vertical.  Maybe it's time I cooked up an inverted L since a big tower
is still not happening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWZjzrzgwA.  It's just
the pain and effort of trying to get wires through the thick trees and the
thicket of buckthorns that creates inertia.
Next year, though ... look out!

It was interesting to try running on 160 with my small station.  At first the
rate wasn't too bad and the callers were all loud.  Then the rate dropped off
and I realized that the reason they were all so loud and that it happened like
that was that they were all big stations running skimmers, who had spotted me
and popped up for the extra points as soon as I appeared.  After they stopped
coming it was tougher going.

Thanks to all who listened hard for my tiny signal, and best reception to all
in the new year.  73 - Tim, KT8K