[3830] TBDC K3TN(@K4VV) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K3TN(@K4VV) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 20:58:10 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K4VV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FM19
Operating Time (hrs): 1

Total:  QSOs = 72  Total Score = 239

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Just got on to test out new audio software for remote operation of K4VV. W0YR
had moved from Skype to IPSound to Mumbler software, and test previous day
showed Mumbler to have rock solid performance - but Murphy was lurking.

Could only run, as no spotting feed to click on and no way to tune radio other
than by N1MM up/down arrow or random band map clicking. Was lots of room to
find run freq, but usually try to find the wimpy signals to get the big QRP
points.

When I got on the latency of remotely controlling N1MM was pretty high and the
audio had some dropout issues - a big deal on the SP test, as there is no 5NN
to provide a predictable part of the exchange as a buffer between QSO
transition and the part you need to copy. So, had to ask for repeats from
S9+30db sigs, even though the station hears very well on 160.

I was also not used to the {operator} macro, which was used in the function key
file loaded. I thought I was sending K4VV, but was really sending K3TN - luckily
we are both in FM19, so the exchange was right. Lots to learn in the world of
remote operation.