[3830] RTTY Roundup K0MD SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, drscott.wright@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K0MD SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 00:47:05 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K0MD
Operator(s): K0MD
Station: K0MD

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
   80:   13
   40:   73
   20:  451
   15:   62
   10:   19
------------
Total:  618  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 46  Total Score = 59,946

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Rig: Icom 7800
Amplifier: Acom 2000a
Antennas:  Force 12 C49XR Stack for 10-20, Force 12 Magnum 240 N 2 ele 40 yagi
at 100 ft, Inverted V dipole for 80.
Interfact: Microham Microkeyer II
Software: N1MM

This was a part-time effort with three goals:

1. To work ND and SD on RTTY and on as many bands as possible.
2. To operate a RTTY contest and to try running with RTTY to better understand
N1MM
3. To work DX on as many bands as possible.

The 2014 RTTY RU will be remembered for falling on the start of an Artic freeze
weekend in the Upper Midwest. I had several other responsibilities that took
time over the weekend and prevented me from concentrating on the RU like I did
the 10 meter contest.

Conditions were fair Saturday and better Sunday as the A index dropped and the
SFI shot to over 200.

I enjoyed working domestic and DX stations. I was surprised that DX contacts
counted for no more points than domestic contacts.

Best DX contact: Multiple Namibia qso's on several bands
Most surprising DX contact: Indonesia calling me Saturday during a run

Observations:

1. I love working the Canadian provinces - the only place where the number in
the call matches a province and there is no guessing
2. US call area numbers have little correlation anymore to actual QTH
3. Lots of stations from Tennessee and California
4. 40 and 80 were "hot" and fun for the limited time I operated on
them.
5. 10 meter prop for me was less than anticipated while runs on 20 exceeded
expectations.
6. I missed the football games on both days - so glad nfl.com is available to
watch the interesting plays later.

Please forgive me if I did not reply to your personal messages during our
contacts - I stuck with the macros in N1MM and did not want to add a keyboard
to my rig or micro Keyer II.

Thanks for the contacts and I want to thank Glenn W0GJ and Ted K7OM for helping
me get my station set-up to operate RTTY.