[3830] RTTY Roundup W7YAQ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W7YAQ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 04:50:39 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W7YAQ
Operator(s): W7YAQ
Station: W7YAQ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Sisters OR
Operating Time (hrs): 10

------------
   80:   56
   40:   66
   20:  164
   15:  166
   10:  101
------------
Total:  553  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 21  Total Score = 40,922

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

My operating time was limited this year as I am in caregiver mode for my wife
who is recovering from surgery and effects of chemo.  Moved the rig to the
bedroom and ran a coax back to the shack so I could keep an eye on her while
making some QSOs.  As a result I had 8 OFF periods and about 10 hours on the
air.

This brings up the question of whether I violated Rule 2.2 of the Roundup
Rules: The six hours of off time may be taken in no more than 2 blocks.

Under this rule someone who operates 24 hours can only have two off blocks (say
3 hrs and 3 hrs). But what if someone operates 23 hours (or less), must they
also only take two off blocks? Or could they take 7 one-hour off blocks?

Do off times at the start and end of the contest count as blocks?  I suppose
not.

How long is a block?  Did I miss seeing the definition?

I am not sure of the origin of Rule 2.2, but would suggest the ARRL make the RU
off-time rules consistent with those of the Sweepstakes -- no limits on the
number of off times, but each must be at least 30 minutes duration.

Anyway, this is a fun contest with non-stop action, even with the rules
ambiguity.

Thanks to Dave K1ZZ for 300 points in the Centennial Points Challenge!

73,
Bob W7YAQ