[3830] RTTY Roundup K6SU(N7MH) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K6SU(N7MH) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:35:49 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K6SU
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:45

------------
   80:  130
   40:  342
   20:  421
   15:  363
   10:  237
------------
Total: 1493  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 62  Total Score = 180,653

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I shared the W6YX station with two single-day efforts, K6UFO using the W6YX
callsign on Saturday and ND2T on Sunday.  Thanks to K6UFO for helping to get
the logging set up for my effort and for the use of the K6SU callsign.

I started on 10 meters while Mark started up on 15 with W6YX.

Last year I'd operated in a M/S with a single radio (a K3) at NW6P and had a
lot of success using the second VFO to tune in and work packet spots.  I tried
doing this with the FT1000MP but the sub-RX had only a very wide filter so it
was much harder and was complicated by the fact that most of the spots came
from the WZ7I skimmer and were offset so far that they had to be tuned in.

While spending the first couple of hours running on 10 and trying to work a few
spots I glanced over at Mark's log and realized that he was 50 to 60 Qs ahead.
I probably should have moved to 20 early for better rate but got lured into
staying on 10 since there were strong signals, but not enough.

In the early evening the Alpha 78 amp I was using sudddenly stopped working on
20 meters.  I had been running it at 600 W to avoid such problems.  I spent the
rest of the evening on 40 and 80.

In the morning I swapped in another Alpha 78 and spent some time looking for a
coax adapter to get ND2T's station hooked up to the antenna switch but finally
just used a jumper instead.  This all took 15 minutes longer than I planned so
my break was 6:15 instead of 6 hours.

I hadn't worked many EU mults on Saturday so I focused on working mults on 20
while trying to run high in the band.  Tom stayed on 15 for most of the morning
and we alternated bands later in the day.

At 2357 I was called by VY1XY for a new mult.  When he sent his exchange he
sent a K5 callsign - hopefully he got my call in the log correctly.

73,
-Mike, N7MH