[3830] CQ160 CW PA3FYM Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pa3fym@amsat.org
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW PA3FYM Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 06:06:36 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: PA3FYM
Operator(s): PA3FYM
Station: PA3FYM

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Zaltbommel
Operating Time (hrs): ~29.5

Total:  QSOs = 1056  State/Prov = 29  Countries = 78  Total Score = 644,247

Club:

Due to inflammation in my mid ears, my left ear was -50 dB.
This was compensated using a stereo audio amplifier with
seperate L/R controls to 'experience mono'.

I am not a very skilled CW operator. QSO rates are not super duper.
Consider me as a diesel engine at around 22 WPM,
requesting '?' when called with 30 WPM ;-)

This contest was a lot of fun!

Condx towards the US were poor. However, I managed to work 29 states.
Signals from the Caribean were weak too.
The last evening signals from Asia were good, with ~30 JA's in the log while
the whole EU was concentrated in the keyclicking 15 kHz 'JA-portion' of the
band.

The station worked flawless, and the 'secretly matched' shunt fed TX T-antenna
(30m high) had an astonishing VSWR-1.5 bandwidth of around 340 kHz.
A rock solid 'broad band' ~50 + ~j0 Ohm match,
resulting in very quick and convenient S&P operations.

A dedicated (only 100m) Beverage was used for the Caribean, which gave
me a few multipliers but the rev Beverages (NE/SW - NW/SE) sounded more quiet.

The pile ups were sometimes difficult as it was often almost impossible to hear

the confirmation of the other station during an ejaculation of EU-stations,
eager to be the next one.

Last but certainly not least: thanks to Richard PA7FA and his wife Marion for
their hospitality!

73, Remco PA3FYM